PDA

View Full Version : Plumping a 220G into the basement

jonesdeini
11/25/2014, 07:16 PM
Hello, I have a Marineland 220G and I would love some advice about plumbing it into my basement.

The tank has 2 overflows, am I better off with 2 or 4 pipes into the basement?

I have questions about pumps and loss due to head height, but they depend on the answer to the above question. FWIW, from the top of the overflow to where I plan to have the sump in the basement is around 12'.

Thank you for your input!

maddmaxx
11/25/2014, 09:09 PM
Hello, I have a Marineland 220G and I would love some advice about plumbing it into my basement.

The tank has 2 overflows, am I better off with 2 or 4 pipes into the basement?

I have questions about pumps and loss due to head height, but they depend on the answer to the above question. FWIW, from the top of the overflow to where I plan to have the sump in the basement is around 12'.

Thank you for your input!

depends on what your tryin to do. are you tryin to cut more holes for return lines in your walls/floor? i know alot of ppl turn the drains into herbie style. but thats usually with the sump underneath the tank, not a basement tank. hope others can chime in...naturally using 2 pipes means a cleaner look and less piping over all when the return line is added to the equation.. but 2 drain pipes will do just fine and then you could you the other to bulkheads for returns as they are naturally meant to be.....really depends on what you want to do...

jonesdeini
11/25/2014, 09:49 PM
depends on what your tryin to do. are you tryin to cut more holes for return lines in your walls/floor? i know alot of ppl turn the drains into herbie style. but thats usually with the sump underneath the tank, not a basement tank. hope others can chime in...naturally using 2 pipes means a cleaner look and less piping over all when the return line is added to the equation.. but 2 drain pipes will do just fine and then you could you the other to bulkheads for returns as they are naturally meant to be.....really depends on what you want to do...

Thank you for your reply. I plan to run the pipes in the wall behind the tank which has around 1.5" of space. So I would really like to keep the pipe size to 1". Two 1" pipes is certainly less work, but I was thinking I should use something 2" or larger to accommodate the two 1" overflows/returns.

maddmaxx
11/25/2014, 11:18 PM
oh your looking to combine the drain lines into a single line down to the basement? cause if you only have a 1.5" space your not gonna be able to run larger pipes obviously...

jonesdeini
11/25/2014, 11:41 PM
oh your looking to combine the drain lines into a single line down to the basement? cause if you only have a 1.5" space your not gonna be able to run larger pipes obviously...

I *could* make room, remove molding and drywall on both sides of the wall, but it's a lot more work than running four 1" pipes that fit nicely in the wall.

horseplay
11/27/2014, 08:26 AM
Why not open a hole on the floor? I think it's easier. That's what I did.

Also, consider using flexible PVC. Makes the job a lot easier and minimum elbows and connections.

rockworm
11/27/2014, 08:43 AM

Also, consider using flexible PVC. Makes the job a lot easier and minimum elbows and connections.

Like you, I opened a hole in the floor. I have two 1.5" drains that connect into a 2" single drain to the sump. I joined the two inside the tank cabinet.

jonesdeini
11/28/2014, 11:00 AM

I have hardwood floors in the room and holes in the floor have a very low wife-approval-rating.

I ordered 2 IWAKI MD-70RLT from BRS as they are 15% off. I'm fine with more work to run 4 lines as it makes my life easier in the long run.

At this point I'm wondering if there are disadvantages to running 4 vs 2 pipes.