PDA

View Full Version : moving to another state, questions

dmh41532
11/25/2014, 09:18 PM
I found out today that we are moving to ohio at the end of December or start of Jaunuary. It''s about a 6 1/2 drive non stop, I think we'll be drving about 7 hours or so. I am getting bags an I have containers from live orders to transport. the main question I have is packing them for the trip. will there be enough oxygen in the bags?

Silvergryphon
11/25/2014, 10:35 PM
Should have enough, when they are shipped they often sit in bags for a day or two. Might consider asking a LFS if they'll inflate the bags to help keep the oxygen content up inside.

slief
11/25/2014, 10:37 PM
Should have enough, when they are shipped they often sit in bags for a day or two. Might consider asking a LFS if they'll inflate the bags to help keep the oxygen content up inside.

Not just air but instead bags of pure o2.. That makes a BIG difference.

If it were me, I'd probably use 5 gallon buckets with lids and battery powered air pumps setup on top with a vent hole. That or I could get my hands on a bottle of o2 and bag em. Some of them anyway.

dmh41532
11/26/2014, 07:43 AM
Unfortunately, the closest 'local' fish store is nearly three hours away from me. not sure where I could get pure o2.

anbosu
11/26/2014, 08:59 AM
Not just air but instead bags of pure o2.. That makes a BIG difference.

If it were me, I'd probably use 5 gallon buckets with lids and battery powered air pumps setup on top with a vent hole. That or I could get my hands on a bottle of o2 and bag em. Some of them anyway.

Assuming everything is going to be a moving truck it wouldn't survive a move to Ohio in January.

If you can't get O2 for the bags, I'd sell your fish at least - they would have a hard time surviving the trip in my opinion.

slief
11/26/2014, 09:57 AM
Assuming everything is going to be a moving truck it wouldn't survive a move to Ohio in January.

If you can't get O2 for the bags, I'd sell your fish at least - they would have a hard time surviving the trip in my opinion.

Very good point.. He would just need a small generator and some water heaters and or a decent space heater to heat the moving van.. The generator would obviously have be be setup someplace outside the truck . Many moving have a basket of sorts along the side for things like tools or snow chains. Minor detail there if he's got a generator. I'd just place the fish in the truck or a car with me.

Funny thing is that I have been contemplating a move from So. Cal to Montana of all places. I would be bringing my tank and 60+ fish along. I've spent a lot of time working on my plan. In my case, it would have to be a summer move due to the transit time. My fish and water would be transported in a heated truck.. My plan would be to use a generator to provide the heating and air for the barrels that the fish would be transported in.

W1ngz
11/26/2014, 01:25 PM
Had this whole thing typed before the site went *poof* for a couple of hours.

An idea, as I consider the option of selling and restocking and 6+ months of QT rotations for new stock to be a pretty unattractive option.

Build a fish "condo" building out of stackable tupperware or ziploc containers inside a cooler.

The lid for each could have a 1/4" hole for an air line attached to a pump, either battery powered, or AC if your vehicle has a 120v inverter.

Heat could come from a heating pad, or hand warmers. Check out Hot Hands on Amazon. Depending on what sort of temperature they give off, you could put one underneath each container, or several along the bottom under some padding so it doesn't directly heat the lower "condos" in the stack.

dmh41532
11/26/2014, 02:55 PM
The livestock will be in my car, since it will likely be very cold. I plan to get some type of heat pack to put in the containers. I would rather not put the fish in a bucket, I would have no way to keep the water warm. I have an air pump, could I just fill the bags with air from that for the trip? selling the fish really isn't an option. I live in an area where reef tanks are pretty uncommon.

MidwesternTexan
11/26/2014, 03:17 PM
Do you plan on having it cold in your car during your transport?

As has been said, fish survive in a bag shipped for days sometimes.

My local regional club does a 'Bus Trip' to at least 6 to 7 reef/fish store in the Chicago area- in the winter.
we use coolers under the Bus in the cargo bay, with those chemical hand warmers- they are low $$, and it's always fine. The last trip lasted ~13hrs total.

What ever you decide- Good luck, and good reefing

slief
11/26/2014, 03:22 PM
The livestock will be in my car, since it will likely be very cold. I plan to get some type of heat pack to put in the containers. I would rather not put the fish in a bucket, I would have no way to keep the water warm. I have an air pump, could I just fill the bags with air from that for the trip? selling the fish really isn't an option. I live in an area where reef tanks are pretty uncommon.

Air from the air pump will not be pure o2. As such, it's a bad option for several hours in the bags. If these are in your car and you can keep your temps between 75 & 80* in the car, the buckets will be fine. That is your best option. You will still want to use battery powered air pumps with air stones in the buckets to insure adequate dissolved o2 in the water. I know this isn't what you want to hear but if you want you fish to survive, that is the best way to insure their survival. If you are really concerned about the bucket water temps, a head pack sandwiched between two stacked buckets should do the trick if you can't keep your car warm.

dmh41532
11/26/2014, 03:45 PM
i just don't want to make a mess...once i moved and transported the fish in a bucket, water splashed. if it is the best option, that's what i'll do since i will very likely have the heater on. i don't have battery pumps since we have a generator but i will get one. thanks everyone for the advice

slief
11/26/2014, 04:00 PM
i just don't want to make a mess...once i moved and transported the fish in a bucket, water splashed. if it is the best option, that's what i'll do since i will very likely have the heater on. i don't have battery pumps since we have a generator but i will get one. thanks everyone for the advice

Like I said in my first post. Get yourself buckets that have lids. Drill two holes. One for the air pump line and another as a breather vent. That will keep water from splashing into your car. That is your best option to insuring your fish's survival during the several hour trip plus setup. Make sure you get a couple battery power air pumps in case one fails or 3 if you need two buckets for your fish. You don't need to fill the buckets up all the way either. Half way will be moe than enough. Make sure you bring along extra batteries and a spare pump.

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Marina-11134-Battery-Operated-Air-Pump/dp/B003TLWXOS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417039050&sr=8-2&keywords=battery+powered+air+pump

Or this:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Azoo_Battery_Air_Pump_Battery_Operated_Air_Pumps-Azoo-AZ15001-FIARBO-vi.html

dmh41532
11/26/2014, 10:56 PM
I've got buckets and lids for water changes. I'm not sure if I could use an inverter and run a pump and small heater (25 or 50watt) if not then I will pick up a few battery pumps. thanks again for the advice