PDA

View Full Version : Brown mass/growth on Kole Tang

Duff485
11/26/2014, 03:48 PM
Hello fellow reefers and happy thanksgiving!

We purchased our awesome Yellow Eye Kole Tang about 4.5 weeks ago and she has been doing excellent since day one. We noticed that she had this brown growth or brown mass on one of her fins when we picked her up. We knew it was a little risky, but she was the more active and better looking of the two Koles available. Anyways, she's been in the QT since we got her and she eats like a pig. All her fins look perfect with the exception of this growth on her left pectoral fin. Color is excellent, and she is very active. She constantly swims around and munches on the glass as well as Formula two flake/pellet and nori. I do the garlic/selcon/zoe/vita-chem soaking rotation a few times a week.

Whatever this growth is doesn't seem to slow her down one bit. I searched high and low on different forums for what this could be and the only thing I think that is close at all is lymphocytis. But that seems like a stretch to me since this growth is completely brown/tan in color. There is no white at all. You can also see that the shape is almost like a cone.

Water parameter wise everything is fine. Nitrates are probably a little high as you can see from the diatoms all over the glass. I've been doing water changes every other week, but started with old Main Tank water, so the algae coated everything right away. I've been lazy in cleaning the glass since I know she eats the stuff throughout the day.

Any ideas on what this could be? Thanks in advance.

-Shawn