PDA

View Full Version : Noob

MrReef101
11/26/2014, 08:32 PM
Hi guys im new to the seahorses and was wondering if I need to get a pair of male and female or can I get same sex. Also can I do 3 seahorses or would they need to be pair? Thanks ☺

vlangel
11/27/2014, 06:06 PM
Hi guys im new to the seahorses and was wondering if I need to get a pair of male and female or can I get same sex. Also can I do 3 seahorses or would they need to be pair? Thanks ☺
I am fairly new to seahorses myself so perhaps someone with more experience will jump in but I will share what I think is alright. I actually ordered 2 females because I heard seahorses were passionate ponies and I did not want to deal with babies. Lots of folks keep all females, (they tend to have maybe less health issues since they don't have a pouch) as opposed to mixed genders. I do know of some keepers who have 3 and it does not seem to be a problem. In fact I received a male and a female, (even though I ordered 2 females) and they mated. Now I am raising babies and if any make it to maturity, I will keep a female to make my herd 3 ponies.

vlangel
11/27/2014, 06:08 PM
PS. Seahorses have some specific needs regarding temperature, their tanks and such so do your research before you get them so it doesn't end in heartbreak for you or your seahorses.

MrReef101
11/28/2014, 12:11 AM
Cool thanks. Yeah we been reading and doing a lot of research and we're finally making the jump.