PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium power backup?

tidus10
11/26/2014, 10:46 PM
What is everyone's power backup solutions? I've been thinking a generator would be nice but would like to know what others are doing.

I really am interested in just running my Reefkeeper, which runs my heater, return pump and a powerhead.. enough to keep the tank going incase my upstate ny winter happens to be just that.. any ideas on how big of one I need or should get? Any help would be great!

Green Chromis
11/27/2014, 07:44 AM
:fish1: I would get the biggest generator you can afford, a whole house generator if possible. I live in South Florida and we installed a whole house generator a couple years ago, in case we get another hurricane or 2. I went six weeks without power after Andrew and 2 portable generators saved my the reef tanks and sure helped keep the house cool during the August and September summer heat. It's just the opposite for you as you need to worry about extended periods without heat for your tank and house. :fish1:

tidus10
11/27/2014, 11:49 AM
While I do plan on getting the biggest I can. I just want to make sure that when a generator says 5500w that it's truly that and if something is 2000w it could still run my stuff. I want to be able to run a space heater, return pump, tank heater and that's really all I care about for the most part. The powerhead would be nice but I'm not tooo worried

PghReef
11/27/2014, 02:34 PM
I use the battery backup in my vortech mp10s. Really when you lose power the first thing you need to worry about is FLOW!! I am about to dive into the world of sumps and am thinking a sump return pump being on some kind of battery backup is a must as well.

Other than tha nothing is vital. Lights can be off for days before long term coral health becomes an issue. Protein skimmer, reactors, etc can all be offline for awhile just go light on the feedings. Many people worry about heat, in the summer or down south maybe HEAT is an issue and a chiller or central AC needs to be run but up north the cold isnt a big deal. Even if your house drops, cover your tank with a blanket and dont worry about it. Unless you have a small tank it will take a long time for the water to cool down significantly and it will do so at such a slow rate things will just kinda go into a hiberantion/ sluggish state. As long as the temp drops and raises slowly and isnt too extreme there will be no shock or harm to livestock, You can always boil water with a gas stove or grill as well to foat hotpacks in the tank if needed!

snorvich
11/27/2014, 06:47 PM
Battery powered bubblers and airstone, battery powered power heads (e.g Votech) and whole house generator in increasing order of cost and effectiveness.

btucker7587
11/27/2014, 11:43 PM
10K Generator...can't beat it. Well, unless you have a 20K Generator. :D

Green Chromis
11/28/2014, 09:31 AM
:fish1: If you buy a generator for your tank, make sure you buy a brand name one like a Honda, also remember the bigger the generator the more they cost to run. I have a 37kv diesel generator that will run the whole house including 2 central A/C's and it will burn up to 4 gal/hr. with a full load. :fish1: