PDA

View Full Version : Catching plankton type foods?

Vilas
11/27/2014, 10:18 PM
Hi!
A thread below got me wondering. I live by a warm part of the Indian ocean. I filled my new 320 a while back with seawater, and it was chock a block full of tiny crustaceans swimming around. I didn't want die off and a cycle, so I cautiously added a clown for a few hours, who gorged himself silly before I scooped him back out.
Now I'm wondering about the merits of wild caught fish food. I worry that there are potentially things I don't want to add? I'm not fussed about pollution, we are very remote and I use the water with no issues. Parasites - pests - disease? How would I collect? Would freezing it sort out pests and parasites, if any? What about feeding live? That clown seemed happy, but frankly, I hadn't considered nasties in there. I've been dumping water right from the sea into the tank for ages, it is the reef world norm here.
Would you do it?
I go fishing pretty much weekly on a boat by a reef out at sea. It would be pretty easy to just drag a net behind on my way home and see what I get. I'd have to pick out small jellyfish, I assume.
Advice?

Vilas
11/27/2014, 10:25 PM
Hm. Now that I'm doing some googling, I still don't have a better answer for my question, but I'm convinced that my weekly infusions of plankton are responsible for the insane sponge growth in my tank. Small enough particle size and all.