PDA

View Full Version : To GFO or not to GFO?

W1ngz
11/28/2014, 04:04 PM
This is mostly a question just because everything is on sale everywhere for the next few days. I don't have any dire need for phosphate reduction at the moment, but sales being sales... you know... spend money! My sump right now only has heaters, a UV filter, skimmer, some foam and filter floss stuffed between 2 baffles, and my return pump. Logically, a media reactor would seem to be next on the list.

My biggest hesitation comes from what it might do to my alk, as I've read that it can cause a 1-2 point drop. I've never tested outside a range of 9-9.5 dKH. I do test between 0.1-0.2 for phosphate, but no algae issues. If I can get ahead of them, I'd like to, but don't want to change things just for the sake of buying more "stuff". The system seems stable, and it's simple. I like it that way.

I'm not quite ready to start keeping much for corals (I do have ~2" paly duncan frags in there), so I haven't gotten myself set up to start dosing any sort of Ca, Mg or alk. I'm still running regular IO salt, and only expect to switch over to Reef Crystals at the end of my 50% used 200gal box of IO.

Worst comes to worst, keeping a box of baking soda on hand wouldn't kill me. But.. to GFO or not to GFO?

whosurcaddie
11/28/2014, 04:12 PM
If your not having algae issues then I wouldn't change what your doing. Although everyone in the lifetime of they're tank will benefit from having a reactor whether its for carbon gfo or any other type of media. So it would be a good idea to get one while they are on sale and set it aside for the day you need it.

Fragman4
11/28/2014, 08:15 PM
GFO is not going to play a huge role in your alk levels until you get into the more experienced corals. Most LPS and softies can handle the minor swing. I have a ton of SPS and i run GFO and Carbon 24/7 with no issues. Like the poster above said if you dont have algae issues now then dont mess with what your doing.

W1ngz
11/28/2014, 09:57 PM
Thanks. I think I'll get a reactor and pump, and set it aside until I'm a bag into my first case of reef crystals.

W1ngz
12/02/2014, 10:00 AM
Spoke a little too soon on no algae. The recent lighting upgrade to a pair of OR T247 LEDs may have something to do with it, but noticed a 3"x3" area of sand seems to be getting green and fuzzy.

I'm tempted to throw a few more crabs in (I'm due to increase my cleanup crew a little after adding the last 2 fish and the corresponding increase in feeding). However, I'm thinking I might wait a week to see if the GFO alone has an impact on the algae without any extra interference from inverts.

Trying to decide on an appropriate action/reaction response rather than "throw everything and see what sticks".

Eric45
12/02/2014, 12:21 PM
If you're getting algae, you should run gfo. I've never noticed any impact on my alk levels.

Jeff210
12/02/2014, 12:54 PM
I run GFO & GAC 24/7 as well (each in their own reactor) and have had no nuisance algae issues...