PDA

View Full Version : just got a used camera in questionable shape - what to check?

rwb500
11/28/2014, 08:20 PM
I got a screaming deal on a Canon G15 used on amazon. I have a week to test it out and return it if I necessary. Externally the camera is in decent shape. There seems to be one small spec of dust deep in the lens or on the sensor, but that is common with these cameras.

more alarming is the fact that the camera is missing every single case screw.

I got a 2 year warranty, covering everything, even accidental damage and water damage, so longevity is not a concern. I just need to make sure that right now, the camera is working as well as a Canon G15 should. Is there anything I should do, besides take a bunch of pictures and make sure they look good? and obviously replace the screws if i'm keeping it.

thanks.

toothybugs
11/30/2014, 02:24 PM
If it wasn't stated that all the screws were missing, I'd return it on that premise alone. I wouldn't trust it much past that point.

BlueCorn
11/30/2014, 04:29 PM
Ditto. Sensor dust is something you deal with on a DSLR, the G15 doesn't have replaceable lenses so it's concerning. I'd return it.

woodnaquanut
11/30/2014, 07:40 PM
Someone took it apart and didn't have it together enough to put the screws back.

If it were me it'd go back as fast as I could send it!

Mpup
12/05/2014, 02:56 PM
Yup, return, no reason to be missing the screws, it's been opened for some reason.