PDA

View Full Version : T5's or LED's for 75 gal 'maybe' reef tank

aquatichypnosis
11/28/2014, 09:23 PM
In the process of setting up a 75 gallon (48x18x21). I don't anticipate turning it into a full-blown reef tank but want the option of adding a few corals. I've been looking into lighting and I'm thinking of going with 48 inch
Coralife Lunar Aqualight HO T5 Aquarium Light Fixture. Is this a good light to go with? Should this be sufficient or are led's a better bet? Cost is an issue at the moment but I want to make the right investment. Any suggestions? Thanks

FranktheTankTx
11/29/2014, 07:29 AM
One coral = reef tank.

Get a 4 bulb ATI Sunpower. On sale right now.

aquatichypnosis
11/29/2014, 01:55 PM
Should i go with the 48 inch or should a 36in be sufficient? The tank is 48 in long. But does the light need to stretch the full length of the tank? The ATI is kind of expensive. What is the difference structurally and functionally between the ATI and coral life models?

Bpb
11/29/2014, 02:06 PM
Keep what you have until you've researched enough to know how specifically it is limiting you, and the benefits and setbacks of led lighting vs bulb type lighting (beyond "led less watts and no bulb changes"). The ATI fixture has higher quality ballasts and more robust housing as well as better reflectors which will give you as much as 30-50% more light output for the same number of bulbs and watts of a lesser quality fixture. Put simply. Do you need that kind of power for a couple mushrooms and maybe some Kenya tree leather corals? No not really. But they'll grow better with it. More advanced corals with more specific requirements will require more powerful lighting. But no sense in upgrading to something that you don't NEED yet. That's just a quick way to get irritated with the expensive nature of the hobby, without making your fish or rocks any happier

reef87
11/29/2014, 02:17 PM
^^^ agree

FranktheTankTx
11/29/2014, 03:28 PM
^^^ Or you can spend $200 on something cheap only to later spend another $400 on something good.

It is of my opinion to do things right initially so that you don't have to go back & do it again. Buying top quality reduces the chances of wanting to replace it later, & saves money in the long run.

Of course you should research what you want - but if you're looking for a quality T5 fixture as you stated in your OP... The 48" 4x54w NON-Dimmable is on sale for $368 right now. That is a heck of a deal for a top notch T5 fixture that will give you all the punch you need on a 75g tank.

Just one man's opinion.

Bpb
11/29/2014, 03:45 PM
Agreed as well on doing things right, but does the op not already have the coralife unit. If it's already in his/her possession, I vote don't upgrade unless it's necessary. One doesn't need an ATI fixture for a fowlr with a softy or two

FranktheTankTx
11/29/2014, 03:56 PM
The way I read it - he's considering purchasing the Coralife.

maddmaxx
11/29/2014, 04:14 PM
the way i read it - he's considering purchasing the coralife.

+1

aquatichypnosis
11/29/2014, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the advice. I was looking into getting the coral life fixture (saw it on drs foster and smith for $220 or so). Currently I have a Sunpaq dual 96 watt CFL on a 29 gal that I used to have on the 75 gal that I broke down a few years ago. Moving into a bigger place now and wanted to get the 75 gal up and running again. I'm interested in the idea of having some corals in it (up until now I have only had FOWLR tanks with anemones, which it worked ok with). However I do see the point in making a better investment in better equipment at the outset, because of the addictive wallet draining nature of the hobby ones interests may wonder into more advanced specimens. The ATI looks like a good strong fixture, perhaps I will wait a little while longer to save the money to get it. Any suggestions with this piece as far a bulb selection and arrangement go?

Bpb
11/29/2014, 07:32 PM
Bigtime ati supporter then. 2 blue+ 2 coral + for the win.