PDA

View Full Version : what is the best controller?

NH Fish
11/29/2014, 06:54 PM
regardless of price , what is the best controller out there? I'm running a 400 gal system. I use a controller now, just fedup with it.

psyrob
11/29/2014, 07:01 PM
ReefAngel: that's what I use for the past three years, zero problems, and it keeps getting better. Of course if you want to set it and forget it, ReefAngel isn't for you, you have to like to tinker, tweak and adjust to get the coding right. The ReefAngel site has incredible support and the users help you customize to your specific needs...

Robby2782
11/29/2014, 07:52 PM
I've heard profilux are amazing, but I've only used apex and reef keeper. I've had to replace the base module of my apex twice.

DaveMorris
11/29/2014, 08:24 PM
If you ask ten different reefers you'll get ten different answers on that one. I prefer the Reefkeeper Elite and I am very happy with it. They all have their pluses and minuses.

ca1ore
11/29/2014, 08:38 PM
I think these 'what is best' questions are just silly. What does 'best' mean? Cheapest, easiest to use, most fully functioned, most likely to get future upgrades, customer service .... or some combination of all of them that will be unique to each buyer/user? I think the most you can realistically expect is a short list of contenders.

d2mini
11/29/2014, 09:33 PM
Profilux is the top end.
German engineered, built like a tank, best reliability that I've seen, easy to program, and most parts are replaceable at home in the rare instance that something ever does happen, so no to little down time.
For me it's all about reliability and they are rock solid.
Maybe it's just due to the smaller user base, but I have never seen a thread pop up about a Profilux failure that crashed someone's tank like I have with the more popular controllers.

I will say that customer service can be hit and miss with a bit of an almighty attitude, and less popular accessories can be a little hard to get this side of the pond, but due to points above, I put up with it.
With thousands in livestock and years of hard work, build quality and reliability are key for me.

DaveMorris
11/29/2014, 10:16 PM
I will say that customer service can be hit and miss with a bit of an almighty attitude, and less popular accessories can be a little hard to get this side of the pond

This is exactly what kept me from heading down the Profilux road back when I first bought my RKE. I still see it as a problem with them. Fortunately for those that own a Profilux the necessity for service is very rare. When you pay much more for something it should be that reliable, though.

d2mini
11/29/2014, 10:22 PM
Yes, and I will clarify that IME, I have never had a problem with getting anything actually resolved.
Everything has been taken care of swiftly and satisfactorily.
And it was minor stuff, usually my own fault.
My qualm is more personality related.

Raul R Badillo
11/29/2014, 10:33 PM
unless you know how to write code don't get a reefangel. I have one. cant figure it out. I run a RKE with net and almost all modules. I run a 220 with a 75 sump and about 8 pc4s and it runs them all with no issues.

woodguy
11/29/2014, 10:36 PM
if you guys don't mind me asking, what are some of the problems with the reef keeper elites?

Mark Bianco
11/30/2014, 06:46 AM
I can not speak for all and I only had the RK basic, but there was an issue out of the box. Once the unit was powered down it would lose its programming. After several emails to customer support (none ever returned) I just listed the fault and sold it as is for less the one half of what I paid for it. IMO DA's customer service would have to get much much better just to achieve "It sucks status..." I think if do a search you will find that is the biggest complaint with Digital Aquatics line.

Mark

Mark

myram
11/30/2014, 06:51 AM
unless you know how to write code don't get a reefangel. I have one. cant figure it out.

The Reef Angel has a wizard that makes it as simple as it can be to get setup and running.
It's only the advanced features that people want to add or make it do that requires code to be written.

mikeatjac
11/30/2014, 06:55 AM
I like apex, does everything I need. When I could not figure out the best way to do some advanced programming I called and to talk to a tech. They then went on line to check how I had the system set up and did some minor changes. That to me is worth my business.

Tried DA years ago and did not like it. Maybe they changed.

unze
11/30/2014, 11:35 AM
i agree there is no best , each has its strength and weakness,

I have the apex and GhL, both are good. GHL programming i find much easier, better level sensor control and you can get amp reading on each outlet, unlike the APex which can only tell you the whole power bag amp reading.

Also if you get a power cut the apex can not send sms, the GHL can.

The GHL does seem solid, but they have issues with the screen, they stop working after a few years. and i found that you have to send them in to get repaired, hardly ideal when your whole tank on the controller.

The puratek controllers look interesting. http://puratek.com The puratek also has a stray voltage sensor.

If vertex every release there controller it looks to be the best.

d2mini
11/30/2014, 11:50 AM
The GHL does seem solid, but they have issues with the screen, they stop working after a few years. and i found that you have to send them in to get repaired, hardly ideal when your whole tank on the controller.

The only screen issue i've heard of is on the doser and they send you a new screen.
I've never heard of a screen problem on the current Profilux 3ex.
Which model do you have? And you had to send it in for repair?

I for sure wouldn't trust my tank to Vertex after their doser fiasco.