PDA

View Full Version : MP40 siezed

Jeff72
11/30/2014, 02:54 PM
Hi, just curious about opinions on mp40's.

I've heard mixed reviews on them. I bought my first one about a week ago.

The impeller shaft was very sloppy from the start, and could not be positioned to eliminate vibration, it would always end up vibrating at one rpm or another. The rubber guage is set at the right spot as well, and out of curiosity I changed it just to see, only made things worse.

So, I shut it off and wrote to Eco tech, yet to hear back, but that was only on Friday night.

But today, I decided to give it one more try. As before at a certain rpm I could get it not bad, but change the speed or wait an hour later it would go out of alignment. Even when it was set, it was noisy. An hour or so after that, I heard a loud noise from the tank, and then the whole wet side started spinning. The whole thing. The impeller had siezed.

I didn't take it apart, just sent another request to Ecotech. And removed the entire set up.

But, after I have read many reviews of vibrations, noise, etc etc. I'm curious what others have to say. Personally I'm thinking of just getting a good Tunze.

Just curious on others experiences with ecotech.

Thanks,

reef bloke
11/30/2014, 07:59 PM
This is usually the wet side impeller nut being too tight and seizing the bearings due friction, the whole wet side the spins and the magnet is damaged and so is the back plate as they will rub each other and score/melt. The threaded shaft usually snaps too. A rebuild kit or complete new wet side usually sorts it. I loved the flow from my MP40's but the noise..... Not so much.

sonoma2nv
11/30/2014, 08:43 PM
i had one do this but mine the nut on the impeller came lose and the wet side magnet gouged the plastic.i doubt the dry side seized .my started blinking red and blue lights and cut off.i got the wet side replace and never had a problem again.pull the plastic off the back of the wet side and look at it.it just pulls off.