PDA

View Full Version : Peroxide dipping Dendros?

Dendros
11/30/2014, 03:41 PM
Has anyone done this? In the past I have had zoanthids with bryopsis on the plug and just did a 50/50 peroxide dip and it kills the bryopsis every time. We'll now I have a couple of dendros with the same bryopsis on them and want to know if I can do a peroxide dip. Any info would be great, thanks.

Dendros
12/02/2014, 10:58 PM
Well too bad I didn't get a response but I went ahead with it anyways. About 20/80 peroxide/water dip for about 5 minutes. Did the trick but I was worried as I could see what looked like bubbles inside the tenticles after. All the dendros I dipped last night are out and about and back to normal today. Put this one in the books.:thumbsup:

organism
12/06/2014, 03:53 PM
Good to know, thanks for updating I've been curious on peroxide dipping LPS.

Reef Frog
12/06/2014, 08:26 PM
Instead of dipping a dendro, I like to carefully apply full strength 3% peroxide to the skeleton only, avoiding as much coral tissue as possible. I use a very small nozzle dropper & hold the colony or frag in such a way as the peroxide drips off away from the polyp area. And I make sure the polyps are fully closed & retracted inside before I start. I will brush frag plugs and lightly pick at the skeleton with the end of a soft crushed toothpick until all "fuzz"'is gone. Then it's a quick rinse & shake in a a cup of tank water and back in the DT or frag tank in a more suitable shaded location to hopefully prevent reoccurance.

This method works for me as it seems less stressful to tissue but does the job on the algae. The dendros may remain closed for a while but sometimes open quite quickly, ready to eat. They definitely responded better (for me) when compared to the results I got with dipping for several minutes. It's OK if you want to cut the full 3% solution by 2 or 3 until you're confident the corals can cope with the treatment. Use caution, YRMV.

Tweaked
12/07/2014, 08:34 AM
Instead of dipping a dendro, I like to carefully apply full strength 3% peroxide to the skeleton only, avoiding as much coral tissue as possible. I use a very small nozzle dropper & hold the colony or frag in such a way as the peroxide drips off away from the polyp area. And I make sure the polyps are fully closed & retracted inside before I start. I will brush frag plugs and lightly pick at the skeleton with the end of a soft crushed toothpick until all "fuzz"'is gone. Then it's a quick rinse & shake in a a cup of tank water and back in the DT or frag tank in a more suitable shaded location to hopefully prevent reoccurance.

This method works for me as it seems less stressful to tissue but does the job on the algae. The dendros may remain closed for a while but sometimes open quite quickly, ready to eat. They definitely responded better (for me) when compared to the results I got with dipping for several minutes. It's OK if you want to cut the full 3% solution by 2 or 3 until you're confident the corals can cope with the treatment. Use caution, YRMV.

Great info :thumbsup: