PDA

View Full Version : question regarding formalin

avandss
11/30/2014, 09:11 PM
I have used it a few times, in my garage (with the door open) using gloves and eye protection, but we have newborns in the house, and i am wondering how dangerous this stuff is

again it is no where near them, however my wife is a physician and would prefer this is no where near our home.

wcarterh
11/30/2014, 10:46 PM
Not the best, not the worst. Basically Formaldehyde and water. Possible carcinogen, can cause issues if inhaled or in eyes, mucus membranes, etc.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/lab_info_services/downloads/MSDS_Formalin.pdf

billsreef
12/01/2014, 06:39 AM
What sort of concentrations? When using the straight stuff to pickle specimens, I use it under a fume hood. One university I worked for even had a special highly ventilated room with a fume hood for working with it. For the concentrations used for treating fish, it's a treatment of last choice (due to it's hazards to humans), ventilation is key. I wouldn't be using inside in the house with newborns. Out in the garage, close the door into the house and crack open the outside door for ventilation, and I wouldn't worry.

avandss
12/01/2014, 08:56 AM
Thanks,
Its formalin ms I believe its 37%
Also now that winter started I have to keep it in the garage with the door open a crack when using it

If its that bad no fish is worth it and in the garbage it goes...

billsreef
12/01/2014, 11:47 AM
Full strength formalin is 37% formaldehyde dissolved in water...the maximum amount of formaldehyde that can dissolve in water. The stuff isn't the safest, but with care and judicious use is usable. Same can be said of most medications we use. Ventilation is key ;) I've worked with the stuff by the gallon over prolonged periods, hence the fumehoods and all ;) Less of a worry when just quickly drawing off a ml or two for treatment purposes.

avandss
12/01/2014, 11:59 AM
Full strength formalin is 37% formaldehyde dissolved in water...the maximum amount of formaldehyde that can dissolve in water. The stuff isn't the safest, but with care and judicious use is usable. Same can be said of most medications we use. Ventilation is key ;) I've worked with the stuff by the gallon over prolonged periods, hence the fumehoods and all ;) Less of a worry when just quickly drawing off a ml or two for treatment purposes.

Thanks Bill, i was really hoping to get your input on this thread

quick question, when i am aerating the bucket, logically i am increasing the fumes correct?

would you feel safe using it in your garage with the door half open? still in the house

thanks!

billsreef
12/01/2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks Bill, i was really hoping to get your input on this thread

quick question, when i am aerating the bucket, logically i am increasing the fumes correct?

Yes, so cover the bucket to reduce splashing ;)

would you feel safe using it in your garage with the door half open? still in the house

thanks!

For treatment purposes I would be comfortable. Your already taking good precautions with the gloves and safety glasses ;)

avandss
12/01/2014, 12:54 PM
Thanks Bill, your input is very appreciated, this thread was more for my newborns than me

thank you!!!

tquinlan
12/02/2014, 09:38 AM
Considering we are talking about the health of your newborn babies, it may be wise to look at sources other than a bulletin board for reef keepers.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/mmg/mmg.asp?id=216&tid=39

billsreef
12/02/2014, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't be using inside in the house with newborns.

You might of missed this ;) Though you are correct that is always good to consider the source.

gone fishin
12/02/2014, 10:59 AM
Also just good practice is to wash your hands thoroughly when done.

avandss
12/02/2014, 11:19 AM
Also just good practice is to wash your hands thoroughly when done.

i take a shower every time.