PDA

View Full Version : Entertaining hermit behavior!

Vilas
12/01/2014, 12:23 AM
I have a locally caught cuc, and found a blue eyed hermit in a tidepool last week. Bigger than I'd normally allow, but so darn cute that I figured I'd give him a chance, and if he was naughty, I could put him in the sump.
Well, after a couple of weeks, I saw him next to a big snail that had been flipped over. Aha, I thought. Time to get out the tongs.
The crab then proceeded to make sure it was flipped over, then turn around and back up to the snail, who happily latched onto his shell. The snail is the same size as the hermit, so an amusing half hour ensued of watching the hermit try to walk. The snail eventually got off onto a rock, and the hermit left it alone.
Then last night, I saw something odd on the glass. It was the same snail - with the hermit riding its back halfway up the glass. Hermit didn't seem to be trying to eat the snail, just riding it like a small pony. See pic.
Hermit is now in the sump in the compartment with other crabs and rock that gets fed. I've just never seen anything like this. Wonder if he was just trying to be friends? ;-)

Wangspeed
12/01/2014, 12:41 AM
Sweet Jesus. Look at that claw! Friends... Right...

Vilas
12/01/2014, 12:47 AM
Yeah, I know. The claw I'd oversized as he uses it to block up the shell's opening when he retracts. The actual opening is pretty small, and the other claw is tiny.

I'm under no delusions that he won't be a voracious predator. Just thought I'd observe him for a while first, and came up with this hilarity.

He will be well fed in his new home.

Vilas
12/01/2014, 12:52 AM
(I'm a bit if a hermit crab fancier. My other big friend is a white spotted hermit about the size of an apple. He had actually been living in the coral sale tank in the LFS for months, with a clean record. I also don't trust him, but he makes a wonderful pet! I'm working on a light for his room in the sump so I can see him better. He has rock and sand and eats like a pig!)

Whiterabbitrage
12/09/2014, 06:48 PM
Awww.... Imprisoned in the sump just for playing cowboy with his friend Mr Snail. :lmao: