PDA

View Full Version : Just in saltwater I bought from LFS

jennmac415
12/01/2014, 08:49 PM
I just got finished doing a small water change with mixed saltwater I purchased at my LFS just a few days ago. AFTER I had gotten all finished with the water change, I was moving the container that still had some of the saltwater from the LFS in it because I didnt use it all... I saw something in it so took the container into the other room to have a better look and it looks like it is FULL of some kind of algae or something... Like an algae bloom!!!! Great.... How I didnt notice it before I did the water change is beyond me, because I did aerate and heat it in a bucket.... Now what????? How is this going to affect my tank??????? I dont have enough good water to do another change right away.... Crap!!! My AQUAMAXX HOB skimmer does seem to be pulling the nasty stuff out... Do you think it will be ok? I just added a new RBTA yesterday too.

jennmac415
12/01/2014, 08:50 PM
I dont know why my phone autocorrect the title but I meant to say "stuff in saltwater from LFS"

whosurcaddie
12/01/2014, 08:54 PM
Your tank should be fine. Do you keep the container in a well lit area? Even if you did, that had to be some bad water they sold you. I would contact them about it.

jennmac415
12/01/2014, 09:02 PM
No, the container was kept down in my basement behind my bar area where it is fairly dark. Im really upset about the water... Good thing I only did a tiny change. My tank has been a little neglected for a few months due to my Moms cancer and passing away, so I've really been working hard the last 2 weeks to get it back on track. I sure hope this doesn't mess it up.

Jpugh73
12/01/2014, 09:33 PM
You should look into a Rodi unit so you don't have to mess with going back and forth from the lfs lugging water jugs around. It will pay for itself in no time and you know that you have good water

jennmac415
12/01/2014, 09:36 PM
Lol... I actually have TWO RODI units... We just moved right before my Mom was diagnosed with brain cancer in March and the last 8 months have been a blur. I just need to finish unpacking all of my fish stuff, find them and hook one if them up... But in the meantime ive had to buy water. Hopefully soon I will finish digging my way through moving boxes

Jpugh73
12/01/2014, 10:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your mom some things just take priority over others. Find those units and get them running that's a little less stress to deal with. As for the algea in the buckets I wouldn't worry to much my saltwater container gets a build up of like snot/slim on the inside I don't really worry about it just clean the container about once a month. Good luck hope it works out for you and your famly