PDA

View Full Version : Any good sources to research corals and fish?

jspearse
12/02/2014, 11:15 AM
As I get ready to start cycling a tank (just waiting for some equipment to come in the mail) I would like to research some fish and corals, inverts etc. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good literature or sites that would be beneficial to look into. Information like suggested tank size, compatibility, care level, required foods all that sort of thing. I want to develop a potential stock list while everything cycles so I can be prepared. Thank you.

shesacharmer
12/02/2014, 11:27 AM
I do most of my fish research on LiveAquaria and then branch out from there for more info. I enjoy checking out different corals on youtube and then research them individually and compare to what LA says about them.

explorer07
12/02/2014, 11:38 AM
+1 on liveaquaria and youtube

cloak
12/02/2014, 11:51 AM
Maybe this link will help.

http://successfulreefkeeping.com/learn/about-corals/what-your-coral-needs/

jspearse
12/02/2014, 01:33 PM
How reliable is liveaquaria? And has anyone actually ordered though them? I appreciate the input. My lfs seems kind of shady at times for information and their prices are either great or awful. I just want to make sure I'm getting the right stock for the right price.

billnPS
12/02/2014, 02:14 PM
You found the greatest source of info for all things reef related. Reef Central folks have a wealth of knowledge (& no ulterior motives--like LF$). You may get differing opinions but just sift through the chaff & you'll have decades of experience & wisdom at your fingertips. You might read the stickies at top of this page; esp. on your intended fish list & leave Sk8r a note there about the fish you want. He's great & has 30+ yrs in the hobby, & will give sound, good suggestions. Good luck & welcome to Reef Central!

airtime23
12/02/2014, 02:30 PM
How reliable is liveaquaria? And has anyone actually ordered though them? I appreciate the input. My lfs seems kind of shady at times for information and their prices are either great or awful. I just want to make sure I'm getting the right stock for the right price.

LA is the best in the business, IMO.

Loveridge24
12/02/2014, 02:47 PM
live aquaria is always a good place to start, although some say the min tank sizes on there a slightly larger than necessary (not saying that's my opinion though! as it's always best to be too big than too small!).

gone fishin
12/02/2014, 03:53 PM
Live aquaria is a good place to start.

Once you have a fish list post at the top of this thread "check put your intended fish purchases here first" Steve "Snorvich" is the only person that answers that thread. You will receive an expert opinion on your list. I commend you on doing some research first, often times it is overlooked.

I would also suggest reading up on quarantine/hospital tanks. Good luck

Jritter02
12/02/2014, 04:03 PM
Not to thread hack...but I was looking at reef2go and saw,some nice stuff for cheap. Is that place legit or no

gone fishin
12/02/2014, 04:04 PM
Not to thread hack...but I was looking at reef2go and saw,some nice stuff for cheap. Is that place legit or no

IMO run fast run hard just run. do a thread search on them.

snorvich
12/02/2014, 05:40 PM
You found the greatest source of info for all things reef related. Reef Central folks have a wealth of knowledge (& no ulterior motives--like LF$). You may get differing opinions but just sift through the chaff & you'll have decades of experience & wisdom at your fingertips. You might read the stickies at top of this page; esp. on your intended fish list & leave Sk8r a note there about the fish you want. He's great & has 30+ yrs in the hobby, & will give sound, good suggestions. Good luck & welcome to Reef Central!

Sk8r is a she, not a he. :love2:

jspearse
12/02/2014, 06:27 PM
I would also suggest reading up on quarantine/hospital tanks. Good luck

I think I have read just about all the getting started information. And back when I ran fowlr I never had a qt tank. Looking back I realize I was just young and impatient (well I'm still young, but not 16 like I was then :P) I plan to run a permanent qt tank both for sticking and emergencies and I do intend to post in the thinking of getting fish for the guidance of Snorvich (sorry if I misspelled that). It seems (from what I've read in that long thread) that he has a vast knowledge and I hope to tap into that. And Snorvich if you have any opinon on any other good resources for information in regards more for fish I would greally appreciate to be pointed in the right direction. I would like to thank you all again for your input and wisdom, and I'm sure I will be asking a question or two, provided I don't find a thread already on the topics I seek information on. I'm glad to see such a helpful community and hope to be a part of it from more than a newbie

billnPS
12/02/2014, 08:16 PM
Sk8r is a she, not a he. :love2:

Whoopsie....My humblest of apologies...SHE has vast knowledge of all things fish/reef related. :facepalm:

maddmaxx
12/02/2014, 08:22 PM
Whoopsie....My humblest of apologies...SHE has vast knowledge of all things fish/reef related. :facepalm:

dont feel bad, i assumed it was a he also...well you know the saying about assuming...