PDA

View Full Version : 40 breeder to 50 gal transfer: setup for Nems?

jonwright
12/03/2014, 08:48 PM
So i'm setting up a replacement 50 gal for an established 40. Basically I've had success with fish and some success with soft corals with HOB filters and basic, basic lighting.

The new tank will be true reef quality with overflows, blue line 30x pump to a sump I'm building with Vertex 130 skimmer and MH 250 watt lights (I have 10k bulbs hand). I have a few Koralias as well for increased circulation. The tank is drilled for additional closed loop if I desire it (Would rather not since they drilled about 1/2 down the freakin back wall for the intake/bulkhead).

So this gonna be a good starting point for a nem? I'm sure fine tuning is in order, but if I'm missing something let me know (like, another 250 watt light! or that NO ONE finds 10k lights work well, or might as well get a pump for that closed loop).

I intend for now to keep CA and Alk in line with Kalk. MIGHT add a clam.

Am I asking for a high maintenance tank?

I ask because I also have a 175 in the works that will be mixed reef and try my hand at SPS.

Should I just go ahead an plan for actinics and a closed loop? Am I missing anything else?

Goal: Nem with clowns so still researching details inside the tank. Right now I'm more worried about outside the tank.

OrionN
12/03/2014, 09:40 PM
250 W is rather high light for that small tank. I got 2X250 W MH on a 65 gal tank and it is way overkill even for the highest light demand animals. Use LED or 2X150 DE MH. That will be enough.
Close loop is bad. The intake need to be flow defused. Intake of a close look is much worst than a PH or two in the tank. Diffuser of the close loop intake will make the tank have a huge piece of equipment in it. Take it from me who used close look since 1999. You are better off with two Vortech MP10

taylor t
12/03/2014, 10:32 PM
or that NO ONE finds 10k lights work well

Right now I'm more worried about outside the tank.

I actually think the opposite. I think 10K (and lately 5k)works the best. :) Actinics look nice though.
...and I would start with deciding on what anemone I wanted to keep first, and build it to accommodate it.
I agree with Minh. IMO, LED may be the best option. If you get a nice one, you can use it in your next upgrade too. If it was mine, I would use a submersible pump too, like an eheim 1250 or 1260, they are quiet, low electric draw, and would add (little)heat to the tank (I try to think about electric consumption, my hope is to afford to stay in the hobby, good times and bad). If you use those 250 watt MH lights, and external pump, add a closed loop pump, and powerheads, you may/will need to think about a chiller. I don't like closed loops either. I have one too. Won't do another one again. Put a valve on that bulkhead in the middle of your back, to under the stand, and use it for fast water changes. my .02

jonwright
12/03/2014, 10:32 PM
Right - had during my typing forgotten about nems and the intakes.

So your opinion is two fixtures for a 36" length tank? I'm thinking ill stick with mh for now. Might go t5 but I have all the mh stuff.

jonwright
12/03/2014, 10:38 PM
Good idea on bulkhead and water changes.

I bought the tank used so I'm trying to use what I have. This was **supposed** to be a quick project while my 175 is on hiatus. Not the case.

Actually I already have a flame angel, pistol/goby pair and cleaner shrimp in the. 40 now slated for this tank. My Vision is to have a pair of clowns n nem added to the community. I'm flexible on which nem, easy ( for a nem), hosts with occelarus. I'm thinking ill need a rock one since the pistol is all up digging in the sand - correct?

jonwright
12/03/2014, 10:41 PM
Oh, and I said "lights" but I intend on one 250 fixture. But I have three to choose from:)

taylor t
12/03/2014, 11:03 PM
If it was mine, a purple malu from DD would be my choice.

If you use that bulkhead for water changes, adapt it to some vinyl tubing, and put a valve on the other end, with enough length so you can pull it out of your stand to fill a bucket, with the valve on the bucket filling end. You don't want a valve on your bulkhead to apply pressure to the bulkhead once it's filled, if that makes sense.

jonwright
12/04/2014, 09:25 AM
If it was mine, a purple malu from DD would be my choice.

If you use that bulkhead for water changes, adapt it to some vinyl tubing, and put a valve on the other end, with enough length so you can pull it out of your stand to fill a bucket, with the valve on the bucket filling end. You don't want a valve on your bulkhead to apply pressure to the bulkhead once it's filled, if that makes sense.

Werd. I may put a valve on the back of the bulkhead for an emer sit only if something happens to the hose. Where the bulkhead sits now approx 1/2 the tank would drain out if there's a failure.