PDA

View Full Version : French Angelfish Randomly Died :(

SlumberDragon
12/04/2014, 07:53 AM
Greetings all,

New to the site but wanted to ask a question about my recently departed French Angelfish.

The angel I have had since she was 1" long. Has been happy and healthy for the last year and a half. Today when I woke to get my kids on the bus, I discovered she was dead. There are no markings of an attack from another fish, no nip marks from any of the crabs or shrimp (assume death was recent this morning), gills, eyes scales etc. all clear of signs of stress or disease.

The aquariums perameters are the same as they have been and not much has changed with teh rest of the aquarium, other than a added fish here or there. All other fish seem healthy and fine as well. She was the aggressor in the aquarium, other than a 2 1/2" Clown tang, though she was 6" long.

I guess the question(s) come down to this:

Why would a seemily perfect healthy fish just die? Is this is a common trait with angelfish? I ask this as normally I do not keep angelfish as I have experiences this random death of healthy fish in the pass. This aquarium alone has had a Queen Angelfish that after 4 months just died and was eating and doing great, a Singapore that again was doing great and found dead, a Rock Beauty for 8 months and then dead.

Hate to have beautiful fish for a few months just to die to an unknown. Any help or advice would be great.

Newsmyrna80
12/04/2014, 09:05 AM
How long has your tank been set up? Do you quarantine all livestock? You are having too many "mysterious" deaths. There is obviously something in your tank.

snorvich
12/04/2014, 10:36 AM
Most likely culprit is the clown tang assuming no parasite was introduced previously.

tylersarah
12/04/2014, 11:18 AM
Also worth considering stray voltage, VOCs (room freshener, other aerosols, cooking wine), oxygen level, nutrition etc.

SlumberDragon
12/04/2014, 11:28 AM
Tank has been setup for over 3 years. Water used is from my other aquarium that has been up for 15 years. All fish I have go to a 40B QT for several weeks until they are eating readily. No parasites either that I have seen. I have had only 4 angelfish in the last two years. Flameback, which is in my mixed reef, no issues. The French and Rock Beauty came in together. This was all prior to the clown tang, Rock was eating swimming doing great. Went missing found body 2 days later. French no issues. Queen came in and had damaged and inflamed gills when I autopsied him. Part from shipping and the ich he came in with. The Singapore no issues, but likely bullied when looking back at it. French, I am at a lost.

Just upsetting to see a good fish pass. Moorish Idol, FoxFace, Anthias, BiColor Parrot, Pajama Cardinals and Vlamingi Tang all good to the naked eye. Scarlet and Blood shrimps are doing great as well.

rock_on
12/05/2014, 01:27 AM
I just had the same thing happen to me. I think my new Tang brought something in and my Foxface got it. He was perfectly healthy and eating, then got sick and died in 24 hrs.