PDA

View Full Version : Is this worm bad?

StevieJones
12/04/2014, 11:52 AM
So I found this guy zooming around my tank last night. It was swimming pretty fast. When he was swimming you could see tons of super tiny legs coming out of his side, they were a brownish orange color. At first I thought the legs were part of the main body, and not legs, there were that many of them. I got these pictures while it was taking a break, and before he went back into some rock work.

Mostly I'm worried that it will hurt something in the tank, or something I put in later. Any help would be awesome.

Sorry, I'm new the the whole forum thing, so the pictures are here:http://imgur.com/a/1crON#DauQwVs

sean.colligan.5
12/06/2014, 04:41 AM
Hi stevie,
What you have is a vermetid worms/ snail... one thing you should do is a reef dip and clean your coral cause the grow out of stony.... there is information you can look up on them to help you...

rssjsb
12/06/2014, 12:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that vermetid snails (they are snails, not worms) do not have a free-swimming stage. They live in shells that are anchored to the live rock and eat with sweeper webs.

To the OP, I'm not sure what you've got. I wouldn't assume it's harmful necessarily. Have you noticed any damage in your tank?

Knots
12/09/2014, 08:26 PM
I like to control my tank... if I'm not sure what it is, I'd take it out.

I can't say I recognize what that is from the picture... maybe what the folks above have said. Time to read up on snails I guess.

Betta132
12/10/2014, 12:48 PM
That's actually not a wonderful idea, removing random things... most of the stuff that tends to turn up in live rock is harmless, and much of that is helpful. Plus, that's where you get the unidentified-but-cool stuff.