PDA

View Full Version : Please help! question about marine life in my filter pad.

One fish
12/05/2014, 02:39 AM
hey guys. hopefully someone is online that can help me right now. Inside my CPR skimmer i have a filter pad to help capture some of the debris that flows through, and it has tons on little bugs that i think are good for my tank. BUT i want to take it out and put it in my new tank to help the cycle. Will they grow back in my main tank? i feel like i need to keep them in there to help with the habitat i have because it has perfect perimeters and it is very healthy. Can i remove it?
Thanks so much!!!!

julie180
12/05/2014, 06:08 AM
Sounds like pods. Just pluck as many off as you can and put them back into the tank. I assume you will be replacing the filter pad so they will reestablish.

billdogg
12/05/2014, 02:07 PM
I always cleaned off as many as many as I could and then dropped them into the tank. The fish always thought it was yummy snack day.

Dan_P
12/05/2014, 02:23 PM
hey guys. hopefully someone is online that can help me right now. Inside my CPR skimmer i have a filter pad to help capture some of the debris that flows through, and it has tons on little bugs that i think are good for my tank. BUT i want to take it out and put it in my new tank to help the cycle. Will they grow back in my main tank? i feel like i need to keep them in there to help with the habitat i have because it has perfect perimeters and it is very healthy. Can i remove it?
Thanks so much!!!!

The organisms growing in the filter pad are there because it is an ecosystem based on bacterial growth. When you add this pad to the new system with its nutrient poor water, the filter pad ecosystem will likely decline because the bacteria will not have much to feed on. It does seem like a means of introducing microscopic live stock, though they may die or go dormant for lack of food.

As for growing back in the old tank, yes, the habitat will reemerge on a new filter pad, but it will takes months. If that is to long, thorough rinse the old filter media in the new tank and return the pad to the old tank.