PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable Nitrate Level for FOWLR

JerseyGuy
12/05/2014, 09:56 AM
75 gallon FOWLR tank.

Tank has been running 10 years, my nitrates range between 20 - 40. Fish and snails are fine but I'm thinking about adding some more snails and maybe a shrimp.

So what is an acceptable nitrate level if I stick with just fish and if I decide to add a shrimp or two?

Thanks in advance for the help.

ReefsandGeeks
12/05/2014, 10:36 AM
I've had a FOWLR for 6 months before I decided to convert to a reef. i alwayshad my nitrates around 40ppm, but have heard of sucess over 100ppm+. May depend on the specific livestock. I always just did a wc after i read above 40. If you have a skimmer you can always start vodka dosing. I started and within a month i'm reading <10ppm from 40ish with no water changes.

ReefsandGeeks
12/05/2014, 10:40 AM
btw I have had a skunk cleaner and blood shrimp while my nitrates were in the 40s and never had a problem. You can always keep an eye on your livestock and if you feel they are being harmed by higher nitrates, do a water change or impliment another method to reduce them.

JerseyGuy
12/05/2014, 10:41 AM
I'm scared to try vodka dosing. The tank is very clean and stable and I do run a good skimmer. I could just do more water changes if necessary but if there are no issues with shrimp at 40ppm or so I'm inclined to just not change anything.

cloak
12/05/2014, 11:34 AM
75 gallon FOWLR tank.

Tank has been running 10 years, my nitrates range between 20 - 40. Fish and snails are fine but I'm thinking about adding some more snails and maybe a shrimp.

So what is an acceptable nitrate level if I stick with just fish and if I decide to add a shrimp or two?

Those numbers are fine IMO. FWIW, the last time I checked the nitrates of my LFS water if was off the charts, (blood red) yet many of the corals, fish, & invertebrates he had looked great. The lower the nitrates the better, but being that this is a FOWLR tank I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Just make sure the fish you have will be compatible with those shrimp. They could become a very expensive meal if your not careful. GL.

mcgyvr
12/05/2014, 11:35 AM
Fish can easily tolerate 100+ppm and more...
Inverts not as much..
20-40 is fine for both fish and inverts and even for most corals..

Dan_P
12/05/2014, 02:33 PM
75 gallon FOWLR tank.

You are OK if you don't have algae issues. How the phosphate level?

JerseyGuy
12/05/2014, 02:41 PM
I run a GFO/carbon reactor and haven't had a sign of algae in years. Best thing I ever bought for the tank.