PDA

View Full Version : using mussels as water filtration

ml708
12/06/2014, 03:58 AM
Due to their superior water filtering capabilities, they seem to be great for maintaining water quality.

However i have heard stories of them reproducing and destroying pumps and equipment. Is this true?

Stevenliu9
12/06/2014, 09:21 AM
It is true as Lake Michigan has never been cleaner with the infestation lol. As long as you keep up regular cleaning (tear apaer and scrub everything)with your pumps the equipment should be fine. But there will be little you can do to prevent them from clugging up your plumbing and risking return clug or flood. Also, consider how much calcium they will drain you will have to keep up if you plan to also have stony corals. Im just sticking with my clams, oyster, and feather dusters.

ml708
12/06/2014, 09:37 AM
Interesting to note that mussels pose that problem, but i gather that your clams and oysters dont start spreading and clogging your pumps and all?

Stevenliu9
12/09/2014, 10:15 PM
I can't speak on oyster breeding but I don't think I've ever heard any hobbyist successfully breed clams (tridacna clams) in captivity. But the most commonly found culprit for plumbing clutters are fan(tubed) worm shells, which can spread like wildfire but the same time is also a great filtering animal for your system.