PDA

View Full Version : API Stress Coat interfering with API nitrate test

andy01748
12/06/2014, 07:07 AM
I have just confirmed that API's Stress Coat interferes with API's nitrate test, causing a low or false negative reading in the test. I am wondering if the chemicals in API's Stress Coat are actually removing the nitrates (doubtful) or interfering with the test (I assume most probable). Is there another nitrate test that uses a different chemistry whose accuracy won't be affected by the Stress Coat? If people use Stress Coat they should be aware it may cause an issue with the API nitrate test.

bertoni
12/07/2014, 10:44 PM
It's interference, although I don't know what kits might work in combination with that product.

tuawcxs
12/08/2014, 02:49 PM
Dosn't Stress coat remove chlorine from water. Since your using RODI do you really have to use stresscoat or are you using it as a precaution? Is this just a test your doing?

andy01748
12/08/2014, 04:07 PM
Dosn't Stress coat remove chlorine from water. Since your using RODI do you really have to use stresscoat or are you using it as a precaution? Is this just a test your doing?

I noticed the issue when I was troubleshooting my skimmer. I looked for a aquarium safe product that I knew would cause the skimmer to foam. Adding a couple of drops Stress Coat directly into the skimmer foam head did indeed cause additional foaming, but when I tested the skimmate for nitrates it was 0in an aquarium that is 20 ppm. I confirmed the problem by testing water from a tank I have curing rock which has nitrates present at >100 ppm. When I add a drop of Stress Coat to the vial before doing the test, I get a 0 reading.