PDA

View Full Version : ideas for simple ATO

alisa1965
12/06/2014, 07:25 PM
I want an idea for a simple, cheap, effective ATO for my 54 gallon saltwater. I have a small 2 gallon refillable beverage container (clear) from menards (see pic) It has a on/off for filling glasses. Wondered if I can put a small hose through this to fill my tank. Just not sure what else I should do to make this work. Any ideas? And what materials should I use? Unless there are other ideas. I can get a float if needed. I just don't want any electricity to be used in this. I also thought about the vaccuum setup. Just need some plans, items needed and instructions. Thanks

Crusinjimbo
12/07/2014, 05:53 AM
Simple and cheap are tough criteria in this obsession/hobby. I use a ATO kit from BRS that included everything needed to setup a two switch float/pump controller. Added a Tom's Aqua Lifter and a container similar to yours. Easy to wire up and total cost was under $50. It has been working flawlessly for three years. Simple & cheap but effective. Tried drip feed and just manually adding a bit of RODI daily but neither were effective.

Mrramsey
12/07/2014, 08:05 AM
I made mine out of a 5 gallon bucket and lid. It is elevated above my sump and the only electric that is used is a 12v float switch and solenoid valve from autotopoff.com. The system is gravity fed so no pumps. The valve is a normally closed valve so if the power is off it is in the shut position.

I also have the bucket plumbed into the bottom of my RODI storage tank so filling is as simple as opening a ball valve.

http://mramsey.homeip.net/img/reef/bean/IMG_6538.JPG

http://mramsey.homeip.net/img/reef/tank/IMG_6547.JPG

perkint
12/08/2014, 01:59 PM
Simple design is a 12V power supply, a 12V pump (make sure the current it needs is much less than that the float switches can take) and then as many float switches as you like - eg main on/off switch, back up off switch and one in the RO tank to prevent running the pump dry. You could probably do that for less than $30 :)

Wiring is about as simple as it gets - just wire it all in series.

Tim

so_tatted
12/09/2014, 09:14 PM
I use a 2.5 gallon lemonade stand beverage container that has the spigot sitting on the side and the lid on the top. I just added a short hose that goes into my sump and measured the length. When the water drops below the end of the hose, gravity fills the sump. Simple, cheap, easy, and effective. Got it for $7 at Wal-Mart.

toothybugs
12/10/2014, 06:29 AM
I use a 2.5 gallon lemonade stand beverage container that has the spigot sitting on the side and the lid on the top. I just added a short hose that goes into my sump and measured the length. When the water drops below the end of the hose, gravity fills the sump. Simple, cheap, easy, and effective. Got it for $7 at Wal-Mart.

This is pretty much my plan for my desktop system. Has to be simple there too, and I really don't want to buy a second ATO just for a small system that I have limited time playing with.

smatter
12/10/2014, 09:34 AM

I wonder if this would work on a 5g I have. It is completely covered aside from a 1" corner of the glass so evaporation is minimal, maybe 50ml per day. I have one of those old gallon plastic kalk drippers with the little valve and air line tubing. I wouldn't want to add more than 50ml of kalk at once. I could drill a hole in the plastic trim on the tank and affix a section of rigid air line tubing so it holds its position at the water level.