PDA

View Full Version : Bacteria Bloom?

Veni vidi vici
12/06/2014, 07:41 PM
I got home Friday after being out of town all week and immediately notice my tank is cloudy.My daughter told me she noticed it on starting Thursday. So I start testing,
Salinity- 1.026
Alk-9.6 DKH
Cal-500 ppm
pH-8.3
temp-76
Nitrate- undetectable
All my SPS look happy full polyp extension ,LPS look happy except one colony has puckered up a bit but not unusual for a colony to do that now and then,and all my zoas are fine as well.
Inverts and fish are unaffected and seam well.
I don't add any supplements other than I dose B-Ionic 2 part in equal portion to hold my alk at 10 dkh but as my colony's grow and coraline increase I need to adjust Bubble Magus now and again.
I only run carbon and it was over due to be changed as well as my filter socks.
I don't know whats going on here...any thoughts?

oscarinw
12/07/2014, 12:04 PM
Magnesium?

Love your signature...

myram
12/07/2014, 06:19 PM
I'd change the filter socks, put in fresh carbon, and do a water change.

Then monitor the next few days to see if it improves.

Veni vidi vici
12/07/2014, 09:08 PM
Magnesium?

Love your signature...
Thanks
Mag is 1350

Veni vidi vici
12/07/2014, 09:14 PM
I'd change the filter socks, put in fresh carbon, and do a water change.

Then monitor the next few days to see if it improves.

After I tested water params I did in fact change both carbon and socks and noticed a big difference this morning.
Almost had a friggin panic attack.......sheesh!

Retromagnolia
12/08/2014, 08:51 PM
It could also be calcium precipitation. Sometimes when the calcium is too high it can make the tank appear cloudy with what looks like really small sand granules. Changing the carbon filter and socks could probably clean that up real quick, but if you find it happens more often then I would recommend keeping the calcium more around 460. ;)

Veni vidi vici
12/09/2014, 05:51 PM
It could also be calcium precipitation. Sometimes when the calcium is too high it can make the tank appear cloudy with what looks like really small sand granules. Changing the carbon filter and socks could probably clean that up real quick, but if you find it happens more often then I would recommend keeping the calcium more around 460. ;)
Thought about that before I tested params but found nothing had changed other than a small drop in alk ,smaller than the drops I had while dialing in dosing pump.
Im still not sure what happened.

Dustyboots
12/09/2014, 08:55 PM
IME just throw flow, it clears up in a few hours.