PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility for my Serpent Star Fish.

Zoe0206
12/07/2014, 12:50 AM
We've owned our Serpent Star Fish for about nine months now. A week ago we introduced a purple tip anemone (for our clown fish) and a porcelain crab to the tank.

The anemone attached to rock right away but has been "walking" around trying to find the perfect spot. Tonight he moved over to the rock where the serpent star hangs out. Is there a chance he will sting him, or hurt him. The anemone did touch one of his "legs" and he didn't seem to mind.

Also earlier we saw the porcelain crab hanging onto the "body" of the serpent starfish. Looked like he might have been trying to pinch one of his legs. We chased the crab off. Was he trying to eat him? Is he a danger to the star fish?

Calappidae
12/07/2014, 03:17 PM
Porcelain and Anemone crabs are filterfeeders, they will not hurt a fly. They're one of the very few crabs you can label harmless.

As long as the anemone isn't a condylactus you should be good.

Zoe0206
12/07/2014, 04:06 PM
Ok good to know...thank you Joe. :)

Betta132
12/07/2014, 10:37 PM
Porcelain/anemone crabs aren't able to completely close their claws, if you look, and said claws open and close rather slowly. They're mostly for show.
Is the serpent green? Green serpents/brittles are fish-eaters. Just something to look out for.

Zoe0206
12/10/2014, 10:52 AM
Neat...I never knew that. I'll have to check out their claws closer next time they make an appearance :P I think they are both so beautiful and very entertaining to watch.

No the Serpent Star is maroon color. He has really grown on us as well.

DEA Coral
02/11/2015, 11:41 PM
Not sure about your serpent star but mine is skilled at hunting. If anything your crab could be lunch. Fish, shrimp, anything that moves can be attractive to a serpent star.