PDA

View Full Version : can someone ID this macroalgae?

nfarlow
12/07/2014, 01:02 PM
This algae just appeared in my tank a couple weeks ago, and it's growing and multiplying like crazy. I haven't been able to ID it and would appreciate any help. I'd also like to know if it's a desirable or undesirable species.

TIA

Phycophila
12/07/2014, 05:24 PM
Hi Tia! That's Caulerpa serrulata. Caulerpas can be very fast growing - whether that's a good thing is up to you, but I think there are several threads on here about how to eradicate or control them.

acabgd
12/07/2014, 06:09 PM
Caulerpa is never a good thing in your DT, trust me! I've been battling it for months. Succeeded eventually, but it took a lot of patience and work. Get it out while you can.

FinzAquatics
12/07/2014, 07:16 PM
The ID above is correct. If you decide to discard this algae I would gladly take it off your hands if you would ship it.. Pm me if you do

nfarlow
12/07/2014, 08:09 PM
Thank you so much for IDing this for me! Is this one of the Caulerpa species that hinders coral growth? If not, I'll keep some and restrict it to my refugium. As fast as it grows, it has to be good for exporting nutrients!

nfarlow
12/07/2014, 08:14 PM
The ID above is correct. If you decide to discard this algae I would gladly take it off your hands if you would ship it.. Pm me if you do

This site won't let me send a PM until I have 10 posts. But this stuff is growing like crazy. I'd be happy to rip out some and ship it to you! Send me your email to discuss.