PDA

View Full Version : Critique on drain/sump design parameters: 50 Gal tank

jonwright
12/08/2014, 12:00 AM
I have a 50 gal tank that 36" wide. Goal: Have a stable system to keep basic softies (fish, natch) and a Nem if tank proves it can handle the animal.

So while I have it apart I'll use the 2 stock holes for 3/4" overflows, setup as Herbie style with 1.5" durso (with, yes, 3/4 bulkhead - it's what's there now). Thinking the stand pipe can be hopefully 2" below overflow teeth, design probability @4".

I'm targeting 600 GPH as I have a Blueline 30x available - and given I want to keep a nem I'd like to water to be really be flowing and I'd like to use what I have.

I'll wind up making the sump I'm sure, and given the cab I'm limited to 22" length MAX, width 18". Skimmer (Omega 130) requires minimum of 12x15" or so to operate, seems folks like it around 6-7" height - especially for smaller setups.

Given the water height of the skimmer my design water height I'll set at 8" so I'll have around 11 gals in the sump. Will I be flowing too much through the sump? I do not plan to use teeth on the baffles.

I'm just going to go with sump/drain compartment due to space. The next compartment would only be 9"x16" so I'm thinking given the space I have 2 compartments are about it. The heater and any other probes would just need to live with the skimmer. I'm afraid if I make the return section any smaller I won't have enough beffer for ATO failure in exchange for a dedicated probe/drain/heater etc. section.

Am I missing anything?

jonwright
12/09/2014, 12:39 PM
Hmmm...well maybe I'm not missing anything...

Any problems with getting 600 GPH outta this size sump???

jonwright
12/11/2014, 09:56 AM
well then. Guess not.