PDA

View Full Version : Percula Clown Laying on Bottom After Picking at Ammonia Alert Badge

todddye
12/09/2014, 08:21 AM
I have a mated pair of percula clownfish that furiously peck at the Seachem Ammonia Alert at the top of their tank every few minutes. After they are done pecking the female will go lay on her side behind the clay pot for several minutes, almost looking dead but breathing normally. She does this all day and all night long, which I believe is making her tired and needing to nap frequently. The last time I saw them picking at the ammonia alert was right before they spawned 6 weeks ago, so it may just be a sign of spawning - even though she laid her eggs in the clay pot.

My concern is due to the fact that the lying down part of this is relatively new behavior and I had a brook outbreak in another tank in the same room (>10' away) but fear I may have accidentally contaminated them at some point with my hands or a piece of equipment not sterilized properly.

She feeds like a mad man and eats everything I put in the tank, and has no visible signs of disease. If she is laying down when I walk in the room, she'll bounce right up and start begging for food. The male is definitely in spawning mode, furiously swimming around the female at all times.

A short video: http://youtu.be/odVoxwf4sDY

My questions:
1.) Should I be concerned, or is this typical crazy clownfish behavior?

2.) Should I leave the ammonia alert in the tank or remove it? ie; Is she pecking at it because it is bothering her?

After dealing with the brook outbreak in my other system, it's hard not to be on high alert.

Any advice or reassurance would be appreciated!!!

Thank you,
Todd

Newsmyrna80
12/09/2014, 09:00 AM
How long have you had them? When was the brook outbreak? Some clowns can be very territorial and they may "check out" anything moving.
I recently had two clowns in a QT and she would lay in the PVC until I walked in the room and she would pop up. I found out from her previous owner she used to have an anemone host her.

todddye
12/09/2014, 09:18 AM
I've had the clowns since early August, and the brook outbreak started on 9/24 but lasted quite a while since I tried treating with CP - unsuccessfully. This was in a separate tank across the room. Last week after stopping CP, brook showed up again and ended up killing several fish. You responded to my other thread about formalin, and how you had a similar issue with the dip and ended up switching to Quick Cure.

I'd rather not treat these fish unless it's absolutely necessary, especially considering the luck I've had with formalin dips. I also have Acriflavin and Metro on it's way to me now just in case. My fish medicine cabinet is now stocked much better than my own!

Newsmyrna80
12/09/2014, 12:02 PM
I don't think you are dealing with brook. Based on the video these are just clowns being clowns.

todddye
12/09/2014, 05:40 PM
Even if the fish spends half it's day laying on the bottom? The other half is spent eating or pecking on the badge.

Deinonych
12/09/2014, 06:09 PM
How about removing the badge? You shouldn't have to monitor ammonia in a fully-cycled tank anyway.

todddye
12/09/2014, 06:24 PM
I put that on the tank when I was traveling as an easy way to remotely check the water quality, but it's not necessary. I'll remove it and see how she reacts.

Thank you for your help!

Newsmyrna80
12/09/2014, 07:25 PM
Even if the fish spends half it's day laying on the bottom? The other half is spent eating or pecking on the badge.

Mine lies on a mushroom majority of the day and it's been in the main for months. She only gets up to eat.