PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer for 480gal system

rnelson
12/09/2014, 09:50 AM
I am looking to replace my existing skimmer on my 480gal FOWLR setup. Right now it's very lightly stocked but will be restocked soon to medium bioload. The skimmer needs to be external. I have it pretty much narrowed down to 2 Reef Octopus skimmers, the SRO-6000EXT or the Regal 250. Anybody with experience on these two skimmers? Budget is about $850.

Thanks!

dinger28
12/09/2014, 09:54 AM
I have the Regal 250 internal and it is absolutely fantastic....well the first few days until my tank broke! Will be up and running again soon. I know you wanted external, but I'm assuming the INT and EXT should be similar in performance.

viggen
12/09/2014, 12:32 PM
To me the Regal 250 is to small for a stocked 475g, a 10 in dia body that's only 26 ish inches tall to me is small for your tank, especially if your bioi load goes more towards the heavy side.

If $800 is your budget I would probably go the SRO6000EXT route for that reason, larger diameter and taller body thus longer dwell time.

My issue with these skimmers (not sure if I have seen a vid of the SRO6000, possibly only the SRO5000EXT) is every skimmer I have seen a video on there seems to be a lot of turbulance inside the skimmer body.

Why are you moving away from your ETSS? Possibly a option would be to save up a bit longer and get the Regal300EXT??

Or you could keep your eyes out for a used skimmer that fits your budget....

rnelson
12/09/2014, 12:38 PM
viggen,

I am moving away from the ETSS because of the electrical usage of the pump that powers it (Panworld 250PS) and mainly the heat factor.

That's a good idea, waiting for a used skimmer.....problem is, I just don't see too many for sale that are this size......mostly for smaller tanks.

Thanks for the reply

viggen
12/09/2014, 01:01 PM
Yes.... the large skimmers do not pop up very often..... must be patient

I am debvating on getting a use skimmer to upgrade my old Euro Reef (10+ yr old modified CS12-2). The one I am considering is Dart powered, 48in or so tall with a 12in dia body for $500. Just not sure if the Dart is quiet enough for me :(

Totally understand on the saving electricity & heat thing..... those are the two reasons I run pin/needle wheel skimmers :)

rnelson
12/09/2014, 01:08 PM
I ran a Dart on a previous skimmer.....the noise was loud but not unbearable......had a Hammerhead once on a closed-loop, now THAT one was LOUD!