PDA

View Full Version : How to Temporarily place corals?

DrBoxedWine
12/09/2014, 03:07 PM
I'm still new to this, and i have 6 corals right now. All except one (that came on a rock that naturally fit into a groove in a good spot) are on the sand bed right now. I'd like to start putting them in permanent homes, but i'd also like to make sure they do well in their new home before i permanently glue them in place.

The little plugs that they come on just don't naturally stay secure on the rocks. Is there a simple way that people temporarily secure corals in various places on the rockwork? The idea of taking the rocks out and drilling holes to use zip ties is not appealing to me... I use BRS reef saver rocks, and while it's a stable structure in it's current state, moving the rocks around is a major pain and hard to get it stable again.

Anyone have any suggestions?

gone fishin
12/09/2014, 03:12 PM
I use a dremel to cut the extended part of a plug off so I have a flat surface. Then I will glue it to a spot, If it does not work out they are easy to pop off with a small screwdriver.

coralsnaked
12/09/2014, 03:27 PM
Until a glued plug has encrusting coral from the plug to the rock they are pretty easy to remove. Normally I can within a few weeks just grab the plug and twist and it will loosen right up.

m0nkie
12/09/2014, 06:26 PM
yup... just take it out, cut the plug, and glue it down. Then twist and remove. Might leave a little glue spot, but that will turn algae color quickly