PDA

View Full Version : Diving Videos

NaasReefer
12/10/2014, 11:02 AM
Hi all, I just discovered the diving section on RC so thought I'd introduce myself and share some videos.
My name is Patrick, I've been diving for about 10 years with a couple of years off in the middle. I've done over 200 dives most of which were in Ireland (yes the water is cold, down to 7celcius in the winter but up to 16 in the summer, either way normally I'd wear a drysuit). I have also done diving in Hawaii, Lanzarote, Western Australia and the Great Barrier Reef.

The first video that I am going to share is of a World War 1 submarine wreck, the UC42 German minelaying sub which sank in Cork Harbour in 1917. She lies at 30m and the hull is almost fully intact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuRj01bO-c8&list=UU4IZnUgLCGmXmXvj_t3Czdw&index=11

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QuRj01bO-c8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ace_92101
12/10/2014, 06:17 PM
Nice video. Where in Western Australia did you dive? I've heard that Ireland has some good cold water diving. After all, it's where the Gulf Stream dies.

billsreef
12/10/2014, 07:38 PM
Nice video :thumbsup: Love all those Metridium on that prop :) I'm an old NE Atlantic (state side) diver, though after few years living in south Florida I'm starting to call anything below 25C cold :lol:

snorvich
12/13/2014, 12:26 PM
Nice video (and music). I got cold just thinking about diving that wreck.

Paul B
12/13/2014, 01:47 PM
Bill Sissified out from New York and went to Miami but I am still a dirty water New York diver but I have dove in those places you mentioned except ireland

NaasReefer
12/15/2014, 04:37 PM
thanks for all the kind replies everyone :)

Nice video. Where in Western Australia did you dive? I've heard that Ireland has some good cold water diving. After all, it's where the Gulf Stream dies.

The diving in WA was in Rockingham bay near Perth. There wasn't all that much to see but there was a couple of light aircraft wrecks that were pretty awesome! That was my first time diving when I did my PADI ow 11 years ago.

My next video is of Inishbofin, an island off the west coast of Ireland. I spent a week there with my club last summer. The cookoo wrasse were everywhere as well as dozens of lobsters. You'll also see a huge vibrant yellow sponge and only the second octopus I've ever seen in Irish waters. The highlight of the trip though was swimming with a sunfish. While waiting on the RIB for the second group of divers a sunfish came within meters of the boat, I grabbed the camera and jumped straight in, didn't even bother getting my fins on I was so excited!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YQHiUwN0U4w?list=UU4IZnUgLCGmXmXvj_t3Czdw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

G_Sanab922
12/16/2014, 09:02 AM
Nice videos! Jealous of that sunfish experience you had! They are beautiful creatures.

NaasReefer
01/12/2015, 04:20 PM
Something a bit different, a maori wrasse called Wally who lives on Norman Reef (Great Barrier Reef). Such a surreal experience for a fish of his size to be so friendly and inquisitive. He became friendly by people feeding him but thankfully he is no longer fed. Still a friendly guy tho who loves getting his lips rubbed.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3AistZRQqKM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

G_Sanab922
01/14/2015, 08:51 AM
Awesome Vids! That wrasse is hilarious lol super friendly!

Use any filters for the gopro?

NaasReefer
01/18/2015, 10:03 AM
Awesome Vids! That wrasse is hilarious lol super friendly!

Use any filters for the gopro?

Cheers, Yeah I had a red filter on it for most of the shots in the wrasse video, it really brings out the color. Just be careful because I lost it on one of my dives :(

josh0302
01/18/2015, 08:41 PM
In your first post what were those fish at 2:20 and at 4:00.

NaasReefer
01/19/2015, 11:57 AM
In your first post what were those fish at 2:20 and at 4:00.

They're Congar Eels, the European version of a Moray I suppose... They get huge, up to 10 feet long! They can also do a bit of damage if you annoy them like this guy did in the west of Ireland a couple of years back http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/conger-eel-attack-shocking-picture-2048058

They usually stay in their hole during the day but on a night dive you might see one free swimming which is an amazing sight.

glaukos
01/22/2015, 12:38 PM
Something a bit different, a maori wrasse called Wally who lives on Norman Reef (Great Barrier Reef). Such a surreal experience for a fish of his size to be so friendly and inquisitive. He became friendly by people feeding him but thankfully he is no longer fed. Still a friendly guy tho who loves getting his lips rubbed.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3AistZRQqKM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

awesome vid:inlove::inlove: