PDA

View Full Version : Single polyp watermellon zoa

ReefsandGeeks
12/12/2014, 03:35 PM
I bought a frag of watermellon zoas at a frag swap about a month ago. it was about 4 single polyps all glued together on a frag plug. I got my first coral from the frag swap, so I don't know what's typical, but since I'ge gotten the frag, all but one of the zoas was become loose and either drifted off on it's own or knocked off the plug by a snail. I've tried to save the loose one's but havn't had much luck. Will the single polyp stand a chance to grow into a colony? I have another frag of red hornets I got from another hobbiest that has gone from 3 to 6 polyps in the same time, but his were all grown together, not glued together.

Thanks

spikey114
12/12/2014, 04:58 PM
Growth rates vary for different zoas but all you need is one polyp to multiply.

Mpup
12/12/2014, 07:10 PM
We do grow contests starting with 1 head, some have gotten to 20 heads in 90 days...

cichlid9
12/12/2014, 08:56 PM
I bought a frag of watermellon zoas at a frag swap about a month ago. it was about 4 single polyps all glued together on a frag plug. I got my first coral from the frag swap, so I don't know what's typical, but since I'ge gotten the frag, all but one of the zoas was become loose and either drifted off on it's own or knocked off the plug by a snail. I've tried to save the loose one's but havn't had much luck. Will the single polyp stand a chance to grow into a colony? I have another frag of red hornets I got from another hobbiest that has gone from 3 to 6 polyps in the same time, but his were all grown together, not glued together.

Thanks

This has happened to me before, but when I see it starting to loosen from the plug ill add a little more superglue gel to it. Just be careful to just get the glue on the base of the polyp.

m0nkie
12/15/2014, 05:39 PM
I've started off all my expensive zoas with a single polyp frag. Now they are nice little colonies of 10+ zoas. going to chop them soon to trade for more rare zoas