PDA

View Full Version : bryopsis

dadummy
12/13/2014, 01:29 PM
hey there,

figured would try asking here, since google didn't turn anything up in the searches I could think of.

I have an all glass 150g with dual overflows, Bryopsis was growing on and inside the overflows. I have drained the tank and it is out on the porch. I plan to clean the tank glass and scrape the overflows.

I am concerned that the bryopsis could come back to haunt me even after it has been dried, hit with vinegar and bleach. If for some reason some is between the walls of the overflow.

any thoughts?

thanks for your time

mpekoske
12/16/2014, 12:54 PM
What is your Mag level at? try to keep it high for a while and that should help you get completely rid of it

pinnatus
12/16/2014, 01:04 PM
Search for byropsis instead, and you may get more hits.

After hitting with bleach and vinegar, it should most likely be gone. However, it could come back, or be brought in again with future inhabitants. If it does, raising the mag level with Tech M often does the trick to kill it.

There are many "plagues" that occur in our tanks over time. They should not be reason to throw everything out and sterilize the tank and start again. Most of the time they come and they go. Over the years, I have fought byropsis, cyano, flatworms, bristle worms, hair algae, aptasia, ich, vermetid snails, zoa eating nudis, and a myriad of other pests. They come, and they go. Just part of life.