PDA

View Full Version : Drop in production MC-RODI-90-10-MF

CrookedStick
12/14/2014, 09:58 AM
Hi all,
I have had a MC-RODI-90-10-MF in use for a tad bit over a year now. Last June (6 months after use) I replaced all the filters except for the membrane. Yesterday I noticed it was taking a long time to produce 15 gallons of water so I checked the flow rate. For every 550ml/per minute I am getting 100ml of product. That like 5.5:1. Not good.

Does anyone have an idea what might have gone wrong? Also I can not find my operation manual: any idea where I can pick up an electric copy?

https://spectrapure.com/manuals/MC_MANUAL.pdf
Found manual

Thank you

SpectraPure
12/14/2014, 10:20 AM
Cold water this time of year can reduce the product water flow rate while not affecting the waste water rate. Run your kitchen tap water into a glass with thermometer for 5 minutes to get an accurate cold water temperature. Let us know what that is, along with the running pressure on the pressure gauge, and we'll calculate what can be expected from the membrane.

Support at SpectraPure

CrookedStick
12/14/2014, 11:19 AM
Seems to have settled to 68.8 degrees. The water pressure on the dial has stayed the same at 60psi or more so at #4 on the dial when in operation.

On 1st TDS in 456 out 15
One 2ed in 0 out 0

SpectraPure
12/14/2014, 12:01 PM
Since your temp and pressure are good, it's likely that the membrane has plugged up. You probably haven't had enough waste water to keep the membrane clean. Your waste rate has always been 550 ml/min, or only 209 gallons per day. If you were making 90 GPD, then that's only a 2.3:1 ratio. That's not enough, given how high your TDS is.
Did you use the hardness test strips? Do you have the "red" or the "green" flow restrictor assembly installed?

Support at SpectraPure

CrookedStick
12/14/2014, 01:17 PM
I did test hardness when set up and ended up using the green restrictor. I can't remember what the ratio ended up being when I first set up.

I do remember that my gdp was real good. I think I was hitting 2:1 or 3:1 waste:Product. prior.
Any recommendations?

SpectraPure
12/14/2014, 03:37 PM
You need a new membrane.

You can replace the green tube with the red one and get 3:1 with a new membrane. It might be that 50% more waste water from day-1 is more valuable to you than extending the life of a more-than-a-year-old membrane.

Support

CrookedStick
12/14/2014, 03:49 PM
How about adding on a prefilter? If so which do you recommend? Also I'll have to buy the red restrictor from your site!

Also, is this a sign that the auto flush is not working enough? I made a mistake in the title, mine is the AF version not the MF.

Again thank you for the response. Another reason I choose Spectrapure!

CrookedStick
12/14/2014, 04:04 PM
You need a new membrane.

You can replace the green tube with the red one and get 3:1 with a new membrane. It might be that 50% more waste water from day-1 is more valuable to you than extending the life of a more-than-a-year-old membrane.

Support
I would like to keep the waste water to a minimum even if I have to buy a membrane each year. Don't know which Has a bigger negative impact, wasting water or filling the landfill.

SpectraPure
12/15/2014, 08:52 AM
I use my waste water in my washing machine. I have my set-up in the laundry room. Tis very convenient!

Jeremy

CrookedStick
12/15/2014, 10:12 AM
I use my waste water in my washing machine. I have my set-up in the laundry room. Tis very convenient!

Jeremy

Assuming you have one machine, your machine holds aprox, 23 gallons of water. If your fill up your machine and stop, best case you may have 7 - 11 gallons of usable product. But most likely are getting 5-7 gallons of product because you probably are not filling it to the brim.

Any ways,

Two questions:

How about adding on a prefilter? If so which do you recommend
is this a sign that the auto flush is not working enough? I made a mistake in the title, mine is the AF version not the MF

SpectraPure
12/15/2014, 10:19 AM
1. Prefiltration removes and traps dirt and chlorine. The membrane traps TDS and hardness and, if not washed down the drain, accumulates on the membrane, plugging it up. More prefilters will not keep TDS and hardness away from the membrane.

2. Does it do an extra strong blast down the drain for the first 30 seconds after plugging the power supply into the wall?

SpectraPure
12/15/2014, 10:21 AM
We need to make sure that the flush is working properly. In the winter I would expect from a range of 45gpd to 75 gpd. According to your waste, you were originally at a 2:1 Ratio, but I feel that you probably should have been at a 3:1. Typically there are two main ways that the membrane loses production. The first way is the filters getting clogged up. We can verify this by taking out the sediment and carbon, and then replacing the filter housings on bare. If the psi increases, then the filters were clogged. No the second way that we lose production is by not wasting enough water. This causes the membrane to scale. Take your membrane out of the housings. Wipe your finger on the bottom inside of the housing. If it feels grainy then def we should have been at a higher waste ratio.

Jeremy

CrookedStick
12/15/2014, 10:30 AM
We need to make sure that the flush is working properly. In the winter I would expect from a range of 45gpd to 75 gpd. According to your waste, you were originally at a 2:1 Ratio, but I feel that you probably should have been at a 3:1. Typically there are two main ways that the membrane loses production. The first way is the filters getting clogged up. We can verify this by taking out the sediment and carbon, and then replacing the filter housings on bare. If the psi increases, then the filters were clogged. No the second way that we lose production is by not wasting enough water. This causes the membrane to scale. Take your membrane out of the housings. Wipe your finger on the bottom inside of the housing. If it feels grainy then def we should have been at a higher waste ratio.

Jeremy

Ok, I'll look at this tonight!

Again thank you for your continued support!

SpectraPure
12/15/2014, 10:41 AM
Hey no worries. With the waste water suggestion; it was just an idea to get creative. I have some customers that extend their waste-lines out to their trees. You have to make sure that when you extend lines out, that you re-calculate the waste to product ratio. I have another guy using it for the evaporation for his pool. People get pretty crafty when it comes to this stuff.

Jeremy

CrookedStick
12/19/2014, 08:24 PM
Well the inside was smooth, but on the front of the membrane there were white crystal like formations.

CrookedStick
12/20/2014, 05:59 PM
Well the inside was smooth, but on the front of the membrane there were white crystal like formations.

Any ideas as to what this was?

SpectraPure
12/22/2014, 11:46 AM
Yes,

It is some sort of carbonate that has scaled your membrane. This was caused by either not wasting enough water, and/or not having a flush valve. Do we have the waste to product numbers yet?

Jeremy

CrookedStick
12/24/2014, 04:49 PM
Read up. Posted the numbers and also stated this is the unit with auto flush :)

SpectraPure
12/24/2014, 05:10 PM
It wasn't originally 5.5:1. At 60 psi you should be getting 180-200 mlpm? What color tube do you have on the flush valve? Is it red or green?

Jeremy