PDA

View Full Version : Need protein skimmer help!!!

Mirandac
12/14/2014, 06:39 PM
Hi I am now the unexpected and unprepared owner of a 100 gallon reef tank. Things seem to be going fairly well as I'm slowly educating myself. My protein skimmer is not longer working and I'm in need of help. I unplugged it the other day before I emptied the 'scum cup' after cleaning it out, reattaching and plugging it back in it would no longer make bubbles in the skimmer body. I blew in the air line and noticed a tiny bit of water was in there. I've been searching the net all day to no avail, please help. I do not know the type of skimmer I have because there are no labels on it

alf1096
12/14/2014, 08:02 PM
I would pull the pump and clean it. Will probably fix your problem.

JoelA7
12/14/2014, 10:02 PM
Assuming you get it going and also assuming it is in the sump overflow goes back in the sump so there's no need to turn it off while dumping the skimmate.

xcdennisx
12/14/2014, 10:07 PM
i would clean it out a bit hopefully that works out

gone fishin
12/15/2014, 05:20 AM
Looks like a coralife skimmer. As others suggested try taking the part apart and giving it clean.

Mark9
12/15/2014, 01:07 PM
Looks like a coralife 65 or 125
Read this
instructions (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcoralifeproducts.com%2Ffiles%2Fproduct%2Fcoralife-skimmerinstructions-new-style-revise.pdf&ei=djCPVNaVA8mrgwS87IOIAg&usg=AFQjCNGDd6wphcdIPYzvQE7gvjglYsFabA&bvm=bv.81828268,d.eXY&cad=rja)

air is supplied to the venturi from the silencer.
Check that the air inlet on the silencer is not plugged.
I had one of these, if you have more questions, pm me.

whosurcaddie
12/15/2014, 02:11 PM
Nobody has said it so I'll be that guy i guess. Coralife is horrible buy a new skimmer.

Don't read my post like that you know you were thinking it.

Just a suggestion. http://www.amazon.com/CoralVue-Technology-External-Aquarium-125-Gallon/dp/B005FG2PJI/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1418674206&sr=8-22&keywords=hang+on+back+skimmer

Mark9
12/15/2014, 08:29 PM
Assuming you get it going and also assuming it is in the sump overflow goes back in the sump so there's no need to turn it off while dumping the skimmate.

The picture clearly shows it HOB, so she better turn it off to empty.

Mark9
12/15/2014, 08:40 PM
Hi I am now the unexpected and unprepared owner of a 100 gallon reef tank. Things seem to be going fairly well as I'm slowly educating myself. My protein skimmer is not longer working and I'm in need of help. I unplugged it the other day before I emptied the 'scum cup' after cleaning it out, reattaching and plugging it back in it would no longer make bubbles in the skimmer body. I blew in the air line and noticed a tiny bit of water was in there. I've been searching the net all day to no avail, please help. I do not know the type of skimmer I have because there are no labels on it

BTW, that's the silencer you are holding, it's the air intake for the venturi. If it's plugged, no air will get to the skimmer. Blow into the open end hard until bubbles come out at the pump intake. Make sure no kinks on the airline tubing.
The red knob is the water flow valve, regulates the amount of water passing through the skimmer. Less water flow, darker skimate, more water flow, lighter colored skimate, kind of like tea.