PDA

View Full Version : what is this?

mauler
12/15/2014, 04:44 PM
I've came home to two dead tangs I'm not really sure what killed them can anyone make a guess?
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b492/mauler_/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0475_zps573260c8.jpg
I think that link will take you to the pictures but I'm not sure.

mauler
12/16/2014, 08:00 AM
Anybody?

mauler
12/16/2014, 03:04 PM
Seriously no one?:mad2:

mauler
12/17/2014, 08:18 AM
Does the link not work? Or is this just the kind of help you can expect here?

Deinonych
12/17/2014, 11:48 AM
Really hard to tell from the pictures what the cause of death was. Can you provide more details on these fish, e.g. behavior, when added, quarantine process etc.?

tylersarah
12/17/2014, 12:45 PM
Personally, I'm really distracted by the holiday card option to the lower right with the dead Hippo picture.

Moving forward, details will help solve this. Were there symptoms prior to death? Recently added fish? etc. etc.

mauler
12/17/2014, 01:28 PM
They were both QT'd about a month ago they both got ich but that was expected and I copper treated and the ich ich was gone and then I moved them to my DT 6'x2'. They were in there for about 3 months the only new fish I added were some chromis that I only QT'd for a week since they looked good and were eating well but after moving them to the DT they started to die one by one and they had red vertical wounds on their sides. 2-3 days after the last chromis died my Achilles and hippo both didn't want to eat anymore and then a few days later they died. The only other fish that were in the tank with them was a red tail trigger and yellow tang. I never witnessed any aggression from anyone.

snorvich
12/17/2014, 01:43 PM
Does the link not work? Or is this just the kind of help you can expect here?

As we are all volunteers with a life outside of Reef Central, sometimes it takes a while.

snorvich
12/17/2014, 01:45 PM
They were both QT'd about a month ago they both got ich but that was expected and I copper treated and the ich ich was gone and then I moved them to my DT 6'x2'. They were in there for about 3 months the only new fish I added were some chromis that I only QT'd for a week since they looked good and were eating well but after moving them to the DT they started to die one by one and they had red vertical wounds on their sides. 2-3 days after the last chromis died my Achilles and hippo both didn't want to eat anymore and then a few days later they died. The only other fish that were in the tank with them was a red tail trigger and yellow tang. I never witnessed any aggression from anyone.

How long were the fish treated with copper? Which type? What level? My guess based on the limited information presented is uronema marinum.

Deinonych
12/17/2014, 02:20 PM
How long were the fish treated with copper? Which type? What level? My guess based on the limited information presented is uronema marinum.

I agree, especially given this detail:

the only new fish I added were some chromis that I only QT'd for a week

mauler
12/17/2014, 02:31 PM
I used cupramine for about a week at .5ppm.
If it is uronema marinum why isn't it affecting my trigger or yellow tang? Also how should I treat it so far I've done two 50% water changes and I'm adding paraguard to my tank.

tylersarah
12/17/2014, 03:37 PM
For some reason I can't copy/paste into this reply box, I'm trying to provide links to more information. If you go to the top of the fish disease forum, click on the Fish Parasites sticky, then Brooklynella hostilis and Uronema marinum, there you will find all the info you need on Uronema. It is a serious problem in your display because it doesn't require a fish host as part of its life cycle, therefore, pulling all fish will not cause the parasite to die off. Paraguard will not help, the best course of action is to pull the remaining fish, treat them appropriately in quarantine and bleach your tank. Some have suggested to remove all inverts and treat the tank with chloroquine phosphate, but I'm not sure how you would then treat the inverts, basically you can't. It's a terrible parasite in a reef tank, always quarantine for at least 10 weeks to allow symptoms of such disease to become present.

Also, there's another current Uronema thread, Wound(?) on Side of Butterfly, please reference the pictures of the saddleback butterflyfish's infection to help confirm the diagnosis.

It may take some fish a bit longer to succumb to the disease, hence the reason you have a couple seemingly unaffected fish.

mauler
12/17/2014, 05:43 PM
Is there anything else it could possibly be? I don't want to nuke my tank unless it's 100% uronema. Also I my tank is fish only so could I just treat the DT?

Newsmyrna80
12/17/2014, 06:44 PM
Without doing a skin or gill scrape there is no way to make a guaranteed diagnosis. Uronema had been known for being a predominantly Chromis disease but of late it is showing up more in other species of fish. The thread Sarah refers to is concerning uronema and the aquarist treated with Metro. He's used it before with success. Providing you don't have inverts you could dose the display. I wouldn't do it but it could be done.

mauler
12/17/2014, 06:59 PM
I have a cleaner shrimp and chocolate chip starfish. Is metronidazole a one time treatment or do I need to dose daily? Also how do I know if it worked considering my current fish aren't showing and symptoms?

mauler
12/17/2014, 07:54 PM
Is fish zole the only non prescription form of Metronidazole? If so will fish sole work? If not what else can I get?

tylersarah
12/18/2014, 03:42 PM
Look for Seachem Metronidazole online or in nicer fish stores

mauler
12/18/2014, 05:43 PM
I see two different Metronidazole products from seachem one is metroplex the other is just called Metronidazole is there a difference between them?

tylersarah
12/29/2014, 06:45 AM
No, Metroplex is formerly Metronidazole

mattcoug
12/31/2014, 12:32 AM
Is fish zole the only non prescription form of Metronidazole? If so will fish sole work? If not what else can I get?

api general cure is metro + pratzi

Mylesweaver
12/31/2014, 01:26 AM
perfect temperature for this one all day and all night the same temp