PDA

View Full Version : Do you prophylactically treat all or only high risk fish?

Raoul5Duke
12/16/2014, 03:06 PM
I recently upgraded to a much larger tank and I plan on QTing all new fish for a period of 30 days before they go in the DT. I was wondering how many people prophylactically treat all fish vs. those that do not unless they see signs or those that only treat the higher risk inhabitants such as tangs for ich and clowns for brooklynella? In an ideal world if I had the time I would do it for all inhabitants, but it will take forever to stock my larger tank and it would obviously be easier to continue to use the QT without tearing it all down and cleaning it before each new inhabitant is brought in. Again, I know the optimal method, but I also want to weigh the practical side here. Thoughts?

snorvich
12/16/2014, 03:10 PM
Depends on how much risk you wish to assume . . .

Newsmyrna80
12/16/2014, 03:40 PM
I look at this way..if I deem a fish is healthy enough/cleared to be taken from the QT and put into the DT then the QT is clear/disease free (if that's what you are asking). I do not prophylactically treat for brook or velvet. TT with Prazi followed by 30 days observation is the protocol I follow and it has yet to fail me:)

gone fishin
12/16/2014, 03:58 PM
i look at this way..if i deem a fish is healthy enough/cleared to be taken from the qt and put into the dt then the qt is clear/disease free (if that's what you are asking). I do not prophylactically treat for brook or velvet. Tt with prazi followed by 30 days observation is the protocol i follow and it has yet to fail me:)

+1

Deinonych
12/16/2014, 04:43 PM
i look at this way..if i deem a fish is healthy enough/cleared to be taken from the qt and put into the dt then the qt is clear/disease free (if that's what you are asking). I do not prophylactically treat for brook or velvet. Tt with prazi followed by 30 days observation is the protocol i follow and it has yet to fail me:)

+2

lagatbezan
12/16/2014, 05:07 PM
I do not prophylactically treat for brook or velvet. TT with Prazi followed by 30 days observation is the protocol I follow and it has yet to fail me:)

Agreed. I qt anything thats wet. Better safe then sorry!