PDA

View Full Version : Reef Safe?

calvertbill
12/16/2014, 03:41 PM
I love Tangs. I have had as many as nine different species in my 450 (I now have seven) because of their combination of eye appeal and coral safety.

i now have two additional fish about to end their sixth and final week of quarantine and am a bit apprehensive about any threat they might represent to my LPS and softies. One is a 3" Goldflake and the other a 2 1/2" Filefish with awesome markings and coloration.

They were both chosen for their visual appeal and was rewarded with their healthy appetites.

I'm well aware of the danger angels in general represent to corals but I had a Goldflake once before and it ignored my GPS in his tank as long as he was supplied with enough Mysis.

This would be my first filefish but he too is a ravenous mysis eater.

Anything released in my tank with it's multiple caves and hideouts represents a major effort in recapture.

One possible alternative is a 55 which has been dark for six months to destroy a major aptasia outbreak but I'm uncomfortable putting them in such a small tank.

Any suggestions?

rwb500
12/16/2014, 10:26 PM
what is the question? are they reef safe? probably not, but I think you already know this.

calvertbill
12/16/2014, 10:59 PM
I guess I'm looking to say it's worth the risk. I really did want them in the big tank if I could.

rgulrich
12/17/2014, 05:18 AM
If your coral growth can support some occasional munching and you won't regret it, that's "life on the reef".

I lost a Trachyphyllia geoffroyi to a Flame Angel and a Bristle Tail Filefish that I couldn't catch in time - I'd had it for 4 years and they wiped it out in less than a day. Of course, I also had the opportunity to watch the Flame strip a few new millepora frags down to nothing as well. And they were all very well fed, too.

Weigh your choices, decide what losses, if any, you're willing to accept for one or the other, and then make your decision. If you have a lot of coral and growth can replace the loss, if any, then go for it. If, like I had at the beginning, you have a bunch of frags just starting to take off, think "bowl of chips and a Sunday afternoon football game" and understand by the time you look down that bowl might be empty.

Cheers,
Ray

beertech
12/17/2014, 07:39 AM
I just lost all of my ZOA colonies to my filefish. It took him less than a week after he finished the Aptasia and Mojano.