PDA

View Full Version : Reefbreeders photon 48 or kessil 360we x2

rtague
12/16/2014, 04:59 PM
How do you think a photon 48 would match up against 2 kessil 360we over a standard 75 ,softies,nems ,lps.The photon would run $500,the kessils with controller around $1000.Are the kessils really that much better?

janes_mw
12/16/2014, 05:41 PM
you will get alot of opinions on this, but there is no way 2x better. A photon 48 over a 75 will be running at probably 70% max on the blues. I have one on my 120 and growth is great. I have been doing since 1988 with MH's and then T5's. I was skeptical at first, but for my 300 new build, I am using two over that (8' tank). Plus Logan at Reefbreeders is second to none when it comes to customer service.

slief
12/16/2014, 06:10 PM
If you like shimmer equivalent of natural sunlight and more akin to metal halide, then the Kessil is a better choice. I also think the Kessils offer a better spectrum. My tank is primarily soft corals with some hammers mixed in. I've been running LED's for 4 years now and switched to 8 Kessil 360WE's over my 48"x96" footprint a few months back. The results have been stunning with my corals growing faster then ever.

I obviously love the shimmer and wanted the ability to control my lights via my Apex but there is nothing wrong with the Reefbreeders fixture either. They are good lights backed with great support.

rtague
12/16/2014, 06:30 PM
Thanks Janes,Sleif,,yeah,can't beat that kessil shimmer, but 2x the price for a 75,I dunno, how's the shimmer factor with the reef breeders?

janes_mw
12/16/2014, 06:47 PM
Kessils are known for the shimmer factor for sure. It is all a matter of budget and how you want to spend your dollars. Both have excellent resale as well.

rtague
12/16/2014, 07:50 PM
Kessils are known for the shimmer factor for sure. It is all a matter of budget and how you want to spend your dollars. Both have excellent resale as well.

Thanks bud,I feel that the cost difference is just too much for this build,I think I'll go with the reefbreeders,only heard good things about them,2 year warranty,exellent customer service,can't really beat that, maybe kessils for the upgrade, lol.

slief
12/16/2014, 08:33 PM
This should give you a good idea of Kessil shimmer Vs a typical LED shimmer. I took this video when I was converting my lights from Reef Tech LED's to the Kessil 360WE's. The Reeftechs would provide just about the same shimmer as the Reefbreeders. The Reeftechs were 180 watts each and used all Cree 3 Watt LED's. There was 3 Reeftechs running on the left side and the center of the tank vs 4 Kessils on the right side. The difference between the two types of lighting is night and day.
<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NehoO27nL_Q?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ca1ore
12/16/2014, 08:38 PM
It's an interesting question. I have been running reefbreeders lights over my mixed reef tanks for almost two years. Now, I don't run them exclusively as I had been supplementing for 5 hours a day with MH. Growth has been very good. Never content with the status quo, I recently decided to give the Kessils a try, figuring that they would replace the reefbreeders. But, given the Kessils are a point source light and the RB a line source, I have actually found them to complement each other very well and I expect to keep both. It's the MH lights that are likely to go - though I haven't removed them yet, just reduced the photoperiod down to 4 hours. I do run the RB fixtures to a lower peak during the day.

The Kessils ramp up and down much more smoothly, though you would expect that given the price differentials - neither light dims down completely, however, each cutting off nominally at about 12-15%.

slief
12/16/2014, 08:41 PM
It's an interesting question. I have been running reefbreeders lights over my mixed reef tanks for almost two years. Now, I don't run them exclusively as I had been supplementing for 5 hours a day with MH. Growth has been very good. Never content with the status quo, I recently decided to give the Kessils a try, figuring that they would replace the reefbreeders. But, given the Kessils are a point source light and the RB a line source, I have actually found them to complement each other very well and I expect to keep both. It's the MH lights that are likely to go - though I haven't removed them yet, just reduced the photoperiod down to 4 hours. I do run the RB fixtures to a lower peak during the day.

The Kessils ramp up and down much more smoothly, though you would expect that given the price differentials - neither light dims down completely, however, each cutting off nominally at about 12-15%.

Since you are running both, how does the Kessil shimmer compare to that of the Reef Breeders? I'm guessing there is no comparison?

ca1ore
12/16/2014, 08:44 PM
Since you are running both, how does the Kessil shimmer compare to that of the Reef Breeders? I'm guessing there is no comparison?

Oh no, no comparison at all. The Kessil is very similar in that respect to a MH; Reefbreeders much more akin to a T5. That is, in part, why I'm probably going to run both. Aesthetically, I prefer the Kessils over any light I have ever run (and in 25 years plus, that's a loooong list).

Indymann99
12/16/2014, 08:45 PM
Funny you bring this up. I just decided on 2x A360we over a Photon 48 after seeing the shimmer. It reminds me of scuba diving, one of my main reasons for the tank. I have an APEX so little less $$ for me but still a tough decision as the Photon 48 has a lot of advantages.

Amatuer21
12/16/2014, 08:48 PM
Kessil would be my choice.

reefermad619
12/16/2014, 11:44 PM
I went with kessils for my 260. I figure I save money in the long run buying what I really want in the first place. But you're right, they are double the price and a little more if you happen to get in on a sale for the RB. You just missed the black friday sale kessil 360we was 15% off.

rtague
12/17/2014, 02:36 PM
Oh no, no comparison at all. The Kessil is very similar in that respect to a MH; Reefbreeders much more akin to a T5. That is, in part, why I'm probably going to run both. Aesthetically, I prefer the Kessils over any light I have ever run (and in 25 years plus, that's a loooong list).

Bud ,you say reefbreeders is more akin to t-5 when it comes to shimmer?.I have an ATI sunpower an have zero shimmer, kinda flat looking which is beginning to bore me, really no shimmer from the reefbreeders?.

ca1ore
12/17/2014, 02:43 PM
Bud ,you say reefbreeders is more akin to t-5 when it comes to shimmer?.I have an ATI sunpower an have zero shimmer, kinda flat looking which is beginning to bore me, really no shimmer from the reefbreeders?.

It's been a few years since I ran any kind of fluorescent lighting. Maybe the RB have a bit more shimmer, but not much more. They are pretty 'flat; looking also. Just don't think you're going to get much shimmer from a line-source light.

rtague
12/17/2014, 04:44 PM
Ok, thanks, good to know.

vette.tech
12/17/2014, 05:56 PM
On the other hand I had a rb photon32 on my tank for about a year and switched to MH a few months ago and honestly the shimmer IMO is very similar, not even remotely close to a t5 which is essentially shimmer less.

janes_mw
12/17/2014, 06:11 PM
On the other hand I had a rb photon32 on my tank for about a year and switched to MH a few months ago and honestly the shimmer IMO is very similar, not even remotely close to a t5 which is essentially shimmer less.

ya, I would equate to my old Pheonix 14K MH. With my photon set at 75/50 (blue/white), sure reminds me of my MH Pheonix dual 250W set up over the 120. Again, all depends on how ya want to spend your money. Perception is reality in life for sure and I don't intend on talking anybody out of their happiness!! We all have our "Shangri-La"!

rtague
12/17/2014, 09:06 PM
Sold!:p

dailydriven911
12/17/2014, 10:49 PM
I love my Kessil! I was one of the 1st a few years back to try the A350 and it was the best light I have ever owned or seen....then I bought the A360 lol. ;) The shimmer and color is perfect and no disco balls! ;)