PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Buying Used Tank

EvenFurther
12/17/2014, 10:33 AM
What advice can anybody throw my way when buying a used tank? I'm new to this and found a really nice, clean used tank / stand / canopy. I've been looking at std 75 gal glass tanks. Drilling holes for an overflow isn't a problem.

My main concern is age of the tank. How long do the silicone seams generally hold up for? I'm going to look at the clean used tank, and they said it hasn't been used in 5 years. So who knows, the tank could be 7-10 years old.

Also I've found a new 75 gal tank for sale too, but doesn't include a stand or top.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Tom39
12/17/2014, 11:10 AM
If you are going to go the used route, check of course the most obvious, look for chips, cracked or melted frame, pealing or damaged silicone or deep scratches. There a lots of people with older tanks and if well maintained or stored, IMHO you should be ok. But then again how do you really know. 75g is a lot of water to play the guessing game with.
Also, from prior experiences with used tanks, you should go with buying new. I mainly say this because of scratches in the glass. Every tank will eventually get scratched at some point. And while saving money is nice, saving money and having to put up with a scratch in the glass is not. Especially if you did not put it there. As for the stand and canopy, lots of people build their own, me included. Going this route gives you the ability to build to suit your needs and will make having a sump and working in the sump a lot easier.

HIH
Tom

Thunderfan
12/17/2014, 12:30 PM
I am doing the same size. I decided to get a new tank which I caught on a black friday sale. Going to drill it for overflow and return. Building my own stand using diy stand plans I got from thread on here. That way I can have a much access as I need. I built mine about 38"tall so I would be able to get about any skimmer I want under it as well as not have to bend over to look at stuff inside. Most production stand are shorter and have the center brace in the front. It really is easy and you can put one together for $100 that's real sturdy. Most of the used tanks I looked at either had some scratches on the glass or I didn't like the way the silicone looked or they wanted almost new price.

FinzAquatics
12/17/2014, 12:51 PM
How has the tank been stored? This would be a concern for me...

In a house, in a storage locker (was it temp controlled).... Id be afraid if it was exposed to excessive heat and cold over the past 5 years.

EvenFurther
12/17/2014, 01:06 PM
Don't know about storage yet. The current pictures show a mint clean empty tank/stand in a clean nice looking empty room. It looks like the house and tank are well cared for, unlike 90% of the other stuff I find used.

I get the feeling I would want to build a custom taller stand in the near future. The more I think about it, the more I only care about the tank.

gone fishin
12/17/2014, 03:11 PM
When I look for used tanks if the people will not put water in it for me to check it out then it is a no sale.

kmbyrnes
12/17/2014, 06:32 PM
I've bought 3 used tanks in the past year. One was holding water when I bought it, the others were not.
The first tank was so cheap and came with so much other equipment, I didn't care if it leaked or not. Same with the second. As it turned out, both tanks were water tight and I have beautiful tanks now. But again I only paid a total of $325 for 2 100+ tanks, 2 stands, 2 sumps, multiple pumps, various old lighting etc. If you shop around, you will find good deals.
The money I saved there allowed me to buy really good lighting, but again I shopped and waited for the good deal.
As long as the 'extras' are worth the total you pay for the tank and the extras, don't worry about maybe having to buy a tank elsewhere.
Just do your leak test outside!

NSimpkins
12/17/2014, 07:30 PM
I agree with Tony. They should be more than willing to show you water in the tank and that it will hold it. If they won't id pass

Mussin
12/17/2014, 09:30 PM
Look for a used reef ready tank on Craig's list...