PDA

View Full Version : Need some Trumpet/Candy Cane advice.

RonK75
12/17/2014, 01:41 PM
Hi all, new to to forum.

I've had a 30 gallon setup for a little over 2 years now. I bought a trumpet a little after the cycle and have had it now for close to 2 years. Started out as 3 heads, and now it has (guessing) somewhere between 30 - 50.

One of the newer heads was deformed, looked a little like it tried to split but couldn't? Not really sure how to explain it.

But now, that head is starting to fall apart and the surrounding heads are deflated. I'm thinking I need to try and remove that part, but I'm a little worried I may do more harm then good. The remaining heads look great.

Added the pic as an attachment, hope that works.

Appreciate the help.

RonK75
12/17/2014, 01:51 PM
Sorry about that, forgot to click upload on the attachment.

Flippers4pups
12/17/2014, 02:12 PM
I have two colonies that size in my 56 with a flame angel and never had this happen. First thing I thought of. Mine do something similar from time to time. Could be the colony is cramped and trying to split to make more room. The base has no more ability to expand. Might be time to frag.

rogersb
12/17/2014, 02:55 PM
What's your alkalinity?

RonK75
12/17/2014, 03:07 PM
KH is comming in around 7 using an old API test kit I have. Looks low?

Kind of hope I don't need to frag, that'll be an adventure.

Thanks again!

RonK75
12/17/2014, 09:23 PM
Tested for..

Ammonia (0),
Nitrite (0),
Nitrate (20 - 40 ppm based off the color). That's a little on the high side.

I ended up cutting away what look to me to be dead tissue. Having it out of the tank and looking at the skeleton, I could probably get away with creating 3 frags. Honestly though, I don't think my tank is big enough to support 3 colonies as big as the one I have (assuming they all continue to grow).

Time for a water change.

sunny d polyp
12/18/2014, 02:28 PM
I've had this problem twice in the past and it was from injuries when I had rock fall on them. From what I learned it was a bacterial infection and ended up fragging and dipping in iodine mix which stopped the die off. This may not be your issue but mine looked very similiar to yours, it was almost as if the coral was melting. Good luck.

RonK75
12/18/2014, 07:39 PM
Thanks, I'll read up on iodine dipping. I'm going to run to lfs tomorrow and see if I grab what's needed to frag it. Does look a little overcrowded.

This coral has survived so many mishaps, for example my son knocking a led fixture into the tank, my general bad husbandry in the beginning. It would be ashame to lose it now that the tank is looking better then ever.

Flippers4pups
12/19/2014, 08:24 PM
Tested for..

Ammonia (0),
Nitrite (0),
Nitrate (20 - 40 ppm based off the color). That's a little on the high side.

I ended up cutting away what look to me to be dead tissue. Having it out of the tank and looking at the skeleton, I could probably get away with creating 3 frags. Honestly though, I don't think my tank is big enough to support 3 colonies as big as the one I have (assuming they all continue to grow).

Time for a water change.

From the pic, it looks like the base is cracked and split. The tissue won't stay over the crack and is divided. Should be fine. As for fragging, well looks like it did it all on its own.

RonK75
12/20/2014, 08:47 AM
So the skeleton on these should be solid? Was thinking since it started out as 3 heads, each grew out separate branches (for lack of a better term).

Thanks.

sunny d polyp
12/20/2014, 01:07 PM
Mine grow on separate heads.

Flippers4pups
12/21/2014, 08:12 AM
Yes, they have separate heads, but some colonies grow a more dense skeleton at its base. Some have very distinctive stalks growning away from its base. This colony has a short skeleton and dense base.