PDA

View Full Version : Suicidal Yellow Watchman Goby

Anorake
12/17/2014, 04:50 PM
I purchased a yellow watchman goby a week ago and he kept jumping out of the tank. He did it once during the day and three times during the night. I ended up putting syran wrap over the top of my tank during the nights to prevent it, but unfortunately I came home after work today to find him all dried out.

No one in the tank was harassing him or even looking at him funny. I did have the lid of the tank on, but the tank I have is a rimless design and the lid has about a 1/4 -1/3 inch gap around the edges, as it sits on inserts around the top of the tank. Does anyone have any past experience with this kind of thing from a watchman goby? I'd hate to get another only to find it's something they are prone to. And if they are, does anyone have any suggestions for another small bottom dwelling fish? Thanks!

30 Gallon Nuvo Cube Tank
1 Clown
1 Blue Spotted Puffer
1 Bicolor Blenny
Asstd inverts

rishu_pepper
12/17/2014, 05:23 PM
I'm having the same "problem". My YWG that I got last week have mostly been swimming on top of the tank. Once I found him in the sump after he got into the overflow.

Rest of the fish are very healthy and water params are normal, so I'm confused with his behaviour. Apparently it's not exactly uncommon. His paired pistol shrimp at the LFS have not been reunited in the tank either. Ugh.

gone fishin
12/17/2014, 05:30 PM
Any fish can jump given the right circumstances. I have had some YWG that settle right down while others seem to wander about for a bit.

Don't worry the YWG and shrimp should find each other again. It took mine quite awhile to find each other again.

Tradewinds
12/17/2014, 05:57 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.

Read the following thread to cheer yourself up:
Your Creatures Do Not Commit Suicide (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2463558)

Anorake
12/17/2014, 06:31 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.

Read the following thread to cheer yourself up:
Your Creatures Do Not Commit Suicide (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2463558)

Haha thanks that definitely left me cheered! All aside from the jokes, I realize my tank and it's top are not suited for super slim jumpers, which is why I want to hear other members experiences with YWG's and a possible alternative species. The owner at my LFS said he hasn't heard of them being more likely to jump than other fish, but I'd hate to get another and have this repeat itself.

I measured the gap between the glass top and the tank sides when it's evenly situated and it's a 1/4 inch. Maybe slim eel like fish are out of the question entirely, but my bicolor blenny has been a great addition to my tank and I've had him for months with no "suicide" attempts. I'd love fish suggestions from the members here if your opinion is that YWG's are unsuitable for my setup. Thanks! :p