PDA

View Full Version : At what point during cycle do I begin testing?

joem1cha3l
12/17/2014, 05:23 PM
I read the stickies and searched but couldn't find anything conclusive. I just started my cycle yesterday. Im well aware this could take several weeks, up to a couple months (all varies, I know). That being said, do I need to begin testing today or should I start after another week or so? I know I don't want to miss that ammonia spike....

Sk8r
12/17/2014, 05:28 PM
If you have all live rock give it 5 days, but expect a 4 week cycle. if you have more unlive than live rock, give it two weeks, usually, and feed it as if you had one small fish in there, just ordinary fishfood. It'll just lie there until bacteria get numerous enough to handle it, and then a spike of ammonia. If you think you missed it, put in a good pinch of fishfood and test for a few days: if the food vanishes but there's no ammonia, try a couple of snails and see if they're ok. Your tank should be in the care of a CUC for four weeks after the cycle finishes, which will give you time to qt your first fish and be sure that your tank is strong enough to sustain a fish without any ammonia.

joem1cha3l
12/17/2014, 05:39 PM
You're the exact person I was hoping would respond to this thread. Thanks Sk8r

Azedenkae
12/18/2014, 05:05 PM
You can start testing anytime, because it is always good to see the changes that go on.

It is quite important to test it now actually, to see what the parameters are like. If there's a bit of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (Let's call them ANN), then you know that your tank is not cycled (of course).

If you see nothing though, or very low levels of ANN, try ghost feeding and see how the tank responds. This is because even if you see nothing, it doesn't mean your tank is cycled (for example, I can fill a tank with saltwater and test it and it would have nothing, though obviously it is not in any way ready for live stock). Ghost feeding will allow you to gauge if your tank is ready to deal with live stock.

If ANN goes up (which it should), and stays high, then you know that your tank isn't ready yet. But if ANN goes up then down significantly, you know that it is actually cycled - as your tank is able to deal with waste produced.

Sparky305
12/18/2014, 09:01 PM
I started testing for ammonia on the first day then nitrite/nitrate every four days after that until I saw them rise.

Good luck!