PDA

View Full Version : Clams are stressed

JurisHP
12/17/2014, 09:09 PM
I recently purchased 2 maxima clams. After acclimating, I placed them both on the substrate Aragonite Live--fine).

My tank is 29" high, and is lit by 3 Ecotech Radion XR15's that come on around 1:00 PM and shut-off around 11:30 PM. They start off at blue and gradually work there way up to full blast in all colors around 2:00 until 10:00 when they start getting darker/bluer until they shut-off altogether around 11:00 PM.

As they are on the substrate, there is what understand to be good flow for them.

My concern is that they are not opening much -- they're always not even 1/2 opened. I believe they are stressed, but I don't know why.

Do you have any suggestions? Should i cut back on the light? Move them higher than on the substrate?

Thank you.

twon8
12/17/2014, 10:29 PM
I'd move them up. Maximas are found on rocks in the wild. Maybe put a shell underneath them so they can attach their foot to it

moliken
12/18/2014, 06:01 AM
waht living creatures are in the tank? how old is it? how did u get them--shipped or not? how were they acclimated? they look lousy. sorry.

jda
12/18/2014, 10:11 AM
^ this

Get something underneath them and see if they will attach. If they will, then move them up - those are going to need a lot more light than a trio of XR15s will put off at 27 inches.

DiscusHeckel
12/18/2014, 11:41 AM
Can you please provide your latest water parameters? I agree with previous posters that in long term your clam needs to be placed on a flattish surface and be placed higher up on your rock structure. In short term, however, I would have expected your clam to open up fully. This is what all my clams did anyway. As Moliken said, I would check water parameters first and your tank's inhabitants. Clearly, something is bothering your clam.