PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Kalk reactors

Raoul5Duke
12/19/2014, 12:42 PM
I am looking to start using a Kalk reactor to help with Ca/Alk supplementation. I would like to feed it through my ATO, however my ATO container sits about 12 ft away from my tank so I used a Mag 3 to pump freshwater in. The Mag 3 has a 1/2" outlet so I would need to reduce this down to the size of an RO/DI line as that seems to be the size that most of these operate off of. I'm wonder if this will cause issues as I have seen several people report that these are not pressure rated. I was looking at the Aqua Medic 5000 Kalk reactor, I like the fact that it is not mixed by a pump so the concentrated solution is on top and does not need to settle after mixing. I have a 360 gall DT, 80 gallon sump and 40 frag tank all plumbed together. My evaporation rate is approx. 12 liters or 3.17 gallons per day. I prefer to use 2 part dosing and Kalk vs. a Ca reactor, even though its probably the most economical for a tank this size. Anyone have advice for me?

Raoul5Duke
12/20/2014, 08:20 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

RocketEngineer
12/20/2014, 09:41 AM
What you could do is place the kalk reactor next to the sump so that it gravity feeds into the sump. Your ATO pump would then push water to the reactor where it would drain out without having to pressurize the reactor.

The concern I would have is using the Mag3 pump injects a large volume of water each time it turns on. While your setup should be large enough to handle this without a problem, you will likely get buildup over time as the highly concentrated kalk mixes with the air and water in the sump. Also, you need to make sure that there is no backflow from the reactor into the ATO container. The best way to accomplish both of these may be to go to a peristaltic pump. They have a relatively low flow rate and don't siphon when turned off.

Good luck.

rockworm
12/20/2014, 11:03 AM
I previously used a similar setup. I was able to use a MJ1200 powerhead to deliver it about 8 feet. I have not used a Mag 3 so do not know anything about it. I ran 3/8" line and reduced it to 1/4" at the Kalc reactor. I had no problem delivering the rodi water to the reactor. Just check the 1/4" occasionaly to ensure kalk sludge has not blocked the line.

You might consider using 1/2" line and reduce it at the reactor. There will be less head loss.

Raoul5Duke
12/21/2014, 01:59 PM
Thanks, there is a siphon break on the ATO to prevent any backflow.