PDA

View Full Version : Can someone give me a quick run down on importance of a doser in an SPS tank?

joem1cha3l
12/21/2014, 08:16 AM
I'm currently in the middle of a nano build that i'll be running SPS in. I haven't cheaper out on anything yet, and all I have left to add at this point is a MP10. (RKE will be in a couple of months). However, I feel like maybe I should be running dosing pumps on this? Can someone give me a break down in laymen's terms of the importance of these and if they're a must to have or not?

Here's my build:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2463932

phenom5
12/21/2014, 08:33 AM
IMO/ IME automated dosing is worth every penny, and one of the things that took my last tank from decent color & growth to great color & growth. Stability of your Alk is one of the most important parts of success with SPS IME.

In laymen's terms, as you put it, do you want Ca & Alk (& Mg if you are going to dose that as well) jumping up to the levels you want then falling for 12 or 24 hours (depending on if you want to manually dose once or twice a day), or would you prefer smaller doses every 60 minutes?

Spar
12/21/2014, 08:44 AM
IMO/ IME automated dosing is worth every penny, and one of the things that took my last tank from decent color & growth to great color & growth. Stability of you Alk is one of the most important part of success with SPS IME.

In laymen's terms, as you put it, do you want Ca & Alk (& Mg if you are going to dose that as well) jumping up to the levels you want then falling for 12 or 24 hours (depending on if you want to manually dose once or twice a day), or would you prefer smaller doses every 60 minutes?

+1

dosing 2-part for at least Ca & Alk is not only critical but extremely easy. you won't need to dose much each hour into a nano. in my 450g i have to drip for nearly 10 minutes every hour of each.

curious for the nano'ers, what is the most efficient controller that will turn the dosers on every hour for a minute or two at a time, without spending money on an Apex or similar?

rovster
12/21/2014, 09:15 AM
I hand dosed my nano for 1.5 years. Once in the morning and once at night. I got good results. I set up a doser for the last few months my nano was running and I WISH I had done it sooner. It was easier to dial in and the hands off approach was great. If I were to do it again, just from the convenience standpoint it is totally worth it!

alf1096
12/21/2014, 09:18 AM
The jebao foster is cheap.