PDA

View Full Version : 6100 humming

Mantis
09/25/2003, 07:39 AM
Rodger,

I have had my dual 6100 Streams with multicontroller for one month. Love the flow, best circulation one of my tanks has ever had, and I have been doing this for 11 years.

One of the pumps is making a vibrating humming noise. You can hear this noise anywhere in the house, basement, four rooms away. It goes high pitch - low pitch, and so on, and so on, based on the controller (30%-90%)

This morning my wife said it kept her awake last night, now we have a problem, if you know what I mean.

Both pumps are positioned in the rock work but only one is making the noise. I have tried repostioning it several times. It makes the same noise when attached to the bracket at the top of the tank. I thought it would go away, or at least get quieter, but now I'm not sure. What can we do ?

Brad

rvitko
09/25/2003, 08:12 AM
Only one is making the noise? We could try a few things- first the drive units are similar to the parts of a car engine and most wear in occurs within 2 weeks but full wear in takes about 3 months- the noise could be reduced over time. I might try dissassembling the drive unit and checking that no sand or foreign objects have entered and all parts are properly installed, sometimes the bottom bushing or top bushing comes a little loose. Also check the magnetic unit, their is a plastic piece at the top and bottom of the magnet that is grey/black in color. These pieces are finished by hand and have to have some small burrs from the injection molding removed. IF you see any burrs or protrusions just scrape them off with an xacto knife or razor blade. You could also try the dampner mounts that came with the rail- small rubber boots that goes between the rail and the glass. Also- check that the screw for the prop is snug- just snug it can be broken if you really torque it down. If these do not fix it let me know.