PDA

View Full Version : Help me to understand thsi firmware update process

DirtinLa
12/22/2014, 12:38 PM
So I am running an apex jr and went to sign on to fusion today

system says I cannot access fusion because I need to do a firmware update...

NOT that I can continue to use UNTIL I update but I CANNOT use without updating

GGGGGGRRRRRRR

so I am running a wireless and it's 75 feet to my router

so I cannot do a firmware update wirelessly... so I try anyway NOPE

OK so I have to bring my head unit to the router GGGGRRRRR so I uncrew the dang thing off the system board and take it to the router.... GGGGRRR

Plug it in... low and behold NO POWER!!!! so I need my EB8 to power it...

no problem HAVE to unscrew that off the system board and unplug all the wires... wait stop and take a pic so I get em back right...

goto unplug the eb8 out of the wall and can't get it out of the plug cause the freaking stand is too close to unplug it!!!!!

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

so now what... go buy a 100 foot network cable

THIS IS F'ING REDICULOUS

-=Fred=-

anyone have other suggestions

slief
12/22/2014, 02:06 PM
So I am running an apex jr and went to sign on to fusion today

system says I cannot access fusion because I need to do a firmware update...

NOT that I can continue to use UNTIL I update but I CANNOT use without updating

GGGGGGRRRRRRR

so I am running a wireless and it's 75 feet to my router

so I cannot do a firmware update wirelessly... so I try anyway NOPE

OK so I have to bring my head unit to the router GGGGRRRRR so I uncrew the dang thing off the system board and take it to the router.... GGGGRRR

Plug it in... low and behold NO POWER!!!! so I need my EB8 to power it...

no problem HAVE to unscrew that off the system board and unplug all the wires... wait stop and take a pic so I get em back right...

goto unplug the eb8 out of the wall and can't get it out of the plug cause the freaking stand is too close to unplug it!!!!!

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

so now what... go buy a 100 foot network cable

THIS IS F'ING REDICULOUS

-=Fred=-

anyone have other suggestions

LOL.. I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. You probably have old firmware that was put out long before Fusion became available. Also, updating firmware from Wireless can be problematic with any device should a glitch occur during the update. I never update electronics from wireless as I am well aware of the potential for issues since I am in the computer business. If nothing else, at least you did your homework before risking damage to your Apex as others have done.

The long network cable is your best bet but you can also use an AC Adapter if you can find the correct size that will plug into the controller. There should be an AC Adapter input on the side of your Apex brain to connect an alternate power input for power outages. I think it requires 12v. You can pick a universal one up at Radio Shack. I'd bring your Apex with you so you can match the correct size plug up though should you go that route. If you were closer, I'd loan you a long cable as I have them at my office. Another alternative is using a laptop and connecting the network cable directly the Apex network connection. You just need to have the Laptop and Apex with the same IP address range. Edit: See link to instructions from Spiff below. What ever you do, do not plug the Aquabus cable into any USB device. From the sounds of it, you already know this because you appear to do your homework! :thumbsup:

spifftempo
12/22/2014, 02:09 PM
There is also the option to connect directly to your computer. NOT via USB, but Ethernet. Special instructions should be followed and are spelled out here:

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?3080-Connect-PC-Mac-directly-to-controller-to-update-firmware

DirtinLa
12/22/2014, 02:10 PM
I have never seen a system shut down for a firmware update...

they need to set it up where the customer can do it at their convenience

Thank you though... and I also see where I can do it by laptop as well...

but once again my laptop is at home LOL

just my luck

-=Fred=-

P.S. my firmware WAS upto date with the lastest and greatest

slief
12/22/2014, 02:16 PM
I have never seen a system shut down for a firmware update...

they need to set it up where the customer can do it at their convenience

Thank you though... and I also see where I can do it by laptop as well...

but once again my laptop is at home LOL

just my luck

-=Fred=-

Your Apex should not have shut down. It's just that Fusion is not compatible with older firmware. Unless I am misunderstanding something, you should be able to use your Apex just fine but not setup Fusion until you get the update.

slief
12/22/2014, 02:18 PM
Were you already using Fusion? If so, then you must have had one of the first Fusion ready firmware versions and Neptune must have done some sort of an update to Fusion that requires newer firmware?? Maybe a security update to the Apex that is Fusion related in a more recent Firmware version.

DirtinLa
12/22/2014, 02:20 PM
I was running 4.32 firmware

KSU_WILDCAT
12/22/2014, 02:21 PM
All I can say is do it EXACLTLY per the instructions. I dread updating everytime. Sometimes it works, sometimes you have to yell and cuss and try it a couple times.

DirtinLa
12/23/2014, 03:34 PM
Alright, just got off the phone and computer with Apex tech support

what a great experience... as usual it WAS MY FAULT

I apologize for my rant and rave!

Apex took great care of me!!!!!!

thank you!