PDA

View Full Version : new 250g build with lots of equipment quesitons

Rhoms
12/23/2014, 11:17 AM
I am just getting back into the hobby since my last tank was torn down about 2005. I just purchased a 250g deep starfire tank and am looking to build my system right the first time around. My biggest mistake in the past was rushing into things and then redoing it the right way. My favorie tank was my 29g nano tank so I invision my 250g being a huge nano tank type set up. My goal is to run a tank full of soft corals and zoas. I plan on keep my fish on the smaller to medium size with nothing bigger than a tang.

Currently I have about 300 lbs of dry base rock in the tank and and am making RO/DO water in my Rubbermaid garbage cans to cycle the rock in the tank. I anticipate this taking 2-3 months.

With that being said my filter system will be in my basement so space wont be an issue. I will be pumping the water back up with an external pump. My goal is to have little to no equipment in the display tank.

I am sure I will have more questions as they come up but initially what would you suggest for a sump/fuge. Should I run my deep sand bed in the sump or external from this?

Also, what are the main differences between an internal and external skimmer? Preferences, pros vs cons?

What types of controllers do you suggest and with what type of monitoring?

Any useful information pertaining to calcium reactors would be greatly appreciated.

I greatly thank you in advance for all your help.

Rhoms
12/23/2014, 11:18 AM
Also, any advice or suggestions in regards to anything I may be missing or overlooking is also appreciated.

Vinny Kreyling
12/23/2014, 12:24 PM
Sump should be as big as you can get (used tanks work great).
Deep Sand beds can become a problem so external.
Int. or Ext. is just what it means inside sump or out they work the same.
I use mine internally because it has a slow leak that will not go away.
I use a Neptune older model controller, there are others and different opinions on all.
The more you want to control the more you want a Neptune.
Soft corals need less calcium than softies so I would wait on this. Dosing might be all you need.
HTH

MMM33732
12/23/2014, 12:53 PM
As far as the skimmer goes, I would go for an internal as you never have to worry about if the cup starts overflowing.

For trying to have no visible equipment, this would also be a good time to add another hole in the tank and plan to set up a closed loop for more flow if power heads aren't to be used.

If you do decide to do a DSB, I would recommend doing it externally so you can isolate it if ever needed and also adjust any flow rates.

viggen
12/23/2014, 02:22 PM
External skimmers are superior to internal.

Internal skimmers are designed to sit inside the sum, the pump that makes the bubbles also adds dirty water into the skimmer body

External skimmers are obviously designed to sit outside the sump OR they can sit inside (not always the case, Dart powered skimmers is a example that must be external) the sump. What makes these syles superior is you need a seperate feed pump to bring dirty water into the tank OR you can run water directly from the overflow.... gravity fed. Usually you want 1-1.5 times the tank volume to pass through the skimmer which is a slower flow rate vs the external skimmers. These external skimmers do a much better job of cleaning I feel due to being able to control the flow through the skimmer which also makes adjusting the type of skimmate much easier and more precise. Only negative is they cost more.... but the added cost is totally with the extra money!

Sump wise as stated the bigger the better!!! Rubbermaid tubs are cheap and are available up to 300g or you can find a used 125g or even two of them to make your sump.

I haven't snagged a controller yet, most seem to prefer the Apex unit

You will probably want to consider additional flow inside the tank. Either drilling the tank for a closed loop or add something like Vortech pumps or the new Maxspec Gyre could be a option. Both take up minimal room inside the tank and can create LOTS of additional flow. For my tank I use a pair of Vortec MP60's

Bpb
12/23/2014, 03:26 PM
Tunze offers various faux rock bits to hide powerheads, but when it boils down to it...At some point you have to ask yourself, is it worth limiting your flow and turbulence, which will limit coral growth and health, as well as overall water parameters...just to have a 99% equipment free display? Most people would say no. There are even some specacular tanks on here that have powerheads on the front glass (Mike Paletta's 300 gallon comes to mind). You can get away with no heater, no frag racks, ect in the display, but definitely consider just accepting powerheads being visible that way you're not limiting flow. Even hiding them behind the rocks will greatly reduce open water turbulence

Rhoms
12/23/2014, 03:48 PM
based off your suggestions I will add some powerheads to my display tank. Do you suggest getting the controller first to ensure they work with the powerheads. Also, what brand of skimmer would you suggest for an external unit?

moondoggy4
12/24/2014, 02:40 PM
Lifereef skimmers is one choice to consider. Tunze and Ecotech make great powerheads it will come down to budget on power heads.